Forums

Books you've read at least twice

Sort:
learningthemoves

Jonathan Livingston Seagull reads so easy each time.

Kerouac's stuff.

And many, many more!

splitleaf
johnmusacha wrote:

Plus the Fourth ed. contains an appendix on the author's experience with drug and LSD use in professional chess in the 1960's and 1970's that I found quite entertaining!

Page please.

johnmusacha

Page 643-644 of the fourth edition.  I just double checked it right now.  Enjoy!

goldendog
fburton wrote:

and Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.  

add that one to my repeat list.

corrijean

This one is next on my list:

corrijean
goldendog wrote:
fburton wrote:

and Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.  

add that one to my repeat list.

It's free for Kindle on Amazon. I'll have to get it.

DrSpudnik

I don't think I have ever read any book twice. And I have way too many chess books (I have no idea why) that reading them once would make me unstoppable.

[since I can, in fact, be stopped...well, you know.]

apawndown

Chess:

Bobby Fischer,  "My 60 Memorable Games."   You don't 'read'  a book like this start to finish,  but I've played over most of the games multiple times.

Nicolai Krogius,  "Psychology of the Chessplayer."  -Not sure of that title,  but I read this at least twice with fascination back in the '70s.

David Bronstein's book on Zurich 1953.  Wonderful clear notes.

Non-chess:

Any and all novels by James Lee Burke and Dennis Lehane.  David Lifton, "Best Evidence,"  a mindblowing study of the JFK assassination from 1980 whose basic hypotheses are being confirmed today.

Bardu
electricpawn wrote:
fyy0r wrote:

Simple Chess - Michael Stean

Simple Chess, The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov, Crime and  Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky, probably others I don't remember. I always thought it was interesting that the Russian word used for crime also meant transgression. I'd love to read both in Russian, but I'm too lazy to learn the language ):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Ah, Master and Margarita and Crime and Punishment? I love Russian authors. I am currently reading Crime and Punishment too, lost track of how many times I've read it. Dostoevsky is the best author I've ever read.

Spruce_Goose

Count of Monte Cristo, the Stranger by Camus and Brothers Karamazov to name a few

CheSsie_BiRdie

electricpawn
Bardu wrote:
electricpawn wrote:
fyy0r wrote:

Simple Chess - Michael Stean

Simple Chess, The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov, Crime and  Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky, probably others I don't remember. I always thought it was interesting that the Russian word used for crime also meant transgression. I'd love to read both in Russian, but I'm too lazy to learn the language ):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Ah, Master and Margarita and Crime and Punishment? I love Russian authors. I am currently reading Crime and Punishment too, lost track of how many times I've read it. Dostoevsky is the best author I've ever read.

It's hard for me to say one author of all the authors I've read is #1, but I could easily make the case for Dostoevsky. Isn't it interesting how he seems to have developed the concept of the ubermench in this book which was written roughly 3 generations before Nietzsche? Have you read The Brothers Karamazov?

bronsteinitz

Liars poker by Michael Lewis and Barbarians at the Gate by Burroughs and ..... Must have read them each at least 3 times. Much better than these Ruskies in pain and confusion.

Crazychessplaya
bronsteinitz wrote:

Liars poker by Michael Lewis and Barbarians at the Gate by Burroughs and ..... Must have read them each at least 3 times. Much better than these Ruskies in pain and confusion.

Take a look at The Big Short by Michael Lewis. Even more relevant.

fburton
AndyClifton wrote: 

Hey, you're the first one I've ever encountered who knew about Red Shift!  Even though I think it's awesome, my stupid library doesn't even have it. 

Also loved The Go-Between.  And another one in a similar mood (although unfortunately it's burdened by a terrible resolution):

Alan Garner always manages to create an amazing atmosphere in his books - magical, creepy, emotion-laden - an Red Shift is no exception, though it is heavier than most of the others.

The Go-Between was a school "set text" and it made a big impression on me when I read it the first time as a teenager. However, it was sobering to find out, when I read it again as a more mature adult, that a lot of it had gone over my head. The synopsis of Bright Day looks interesting - I can see the parallels with The Go-Between. Think I might read it!

Looking at the cover of that old Penguin edition reminds me of a couple of books I revisit from time to time. One is Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household, about this very public-school, huntin'-and-shootin' English guy (played by Peter O'Toole in a TV film adaptation shown in 1976 - brilliant!) who goes off to Germany in 1939 to shoot Hitler when he's staying at a country house. He (the O'Toole character) is captured & tortured by the Gestapo, escapes and flees back to England where he is pursued and forced to "go to ground" (literally). Exciting stuff!

The other is a shortish story by Harry Kemelman called The Nine Mile Walk. It's detective fiction, but what makes this special is that the detective in this case manages to solve the case purely by forging a series of logical inferences based on a single sentence that he's given in a casual conversation with a friend who had overheard it earlier. A gem, imo.

NobbyCapeTown

Isaac Asimov's "I Robot" short stories. Read it last about 20 years ago. There is one short story in there about a computer being asked the question  "What is the meaning of life". His answer is "Insufficient data for meaningful response". When he does come up with an answer, it blows you away and the answer stays in your head for the rest of your life ! Those who have read it, they know.

Bronco

1984 (best album by Van Halen too ;) )

KeyserSzoze
BowerickWowbagger wrote:

Got Fight - Forrest Griffin

Forrest both books are great but I was a little bit dissapointed by Chael Sonnen book

ivandh

Waiting for the Barbarians - J.M. Coetzee is another one I've read a few times.

ContemplativeCat

Chernev's Logical Chess Move by Move

Fiction= Patrick Obrian's Aubrey/ Maturin series - the whole series, at least three times "the greatest historical novels ever written"  :D