Forums

Cavalier #1491 Tournament set ...

Sort:
michaelcausey7

Congrats! Can't wait for the pics happy

Bent_Larceny

Received my Cavalier 1491 ivory/black chess pieces in today's mail.  The Pacific Games blue box was in good shape for its age, except for a couple spots where it looked like a previous owner had taped the box and then peeled off some surface when the tape was removed. 

The pieces are in almost pristine condition, with only two very minor defects: Namely, the black king has a loose weight and the white king has some weird damage to its felt pad.  The king is 4" tall and the set weighs 1162 grams.  (A note about my weighing technique:  Modern sets have 34 pieces due to extra queens, so in order to do an apples to apples comparison I weighed the Cavalier 1491 queens twice to show what this 32-piece set would weigh if extra queens were included).  In my experience, 1100-1200 grams is an excellent weight for tournament pieces.

Paired with HoS pvc folding board

Nostalgia is a big part of the attraction for me, as quite a few players in the local tournament scene used these when I was a kid back in the 1970s.  I always preferred the aesthetic of the Drueke Player's Choice, but seeing the Cavalier pieces in person for the first time in over 40 years, I would say these are a close second and I would prefer them to anything in current production.

Nostalgic look with USCF tournament clock I used in the 1970s

And below is a look at the odd damage to the felt of the White king.  Weight on this one isn't loose.  I'm not sure if a previous owner attempted a repair or if this was a manufacturing defect, but a small amount of glue that is on the felt could be evidence of either.

I have previous experience with re-felting chess pieces and have some black felt on hand that is a perfect match for the original felts.  All I need to make this good as new is to get some two-part epoxy to fix the Black king's loose weight and to replace felt on both kings.

To sum up, I am delighted with my purchase - I absolutely got a good deal on this one, and highly recommend this set to anyone!

GrandPatzerDave

If you really want extra queens I'm sure another 1491 will show up sooner or later.  And I'll probably be posting it here, hahaha!

In fact, here's the 1491 with a missing black pawn and a couple of damaged white pieces.  You could make the guy a more-reasonable offer than what he's asking and see if you can get your extra queens!

Bent_Larceny
GrandPatzerDave wrote:

If you really want extra queens I'm sure another 1491 will show up sooner or later.  And I'll probably be posting it here, hahaha!

In fact, here's the 1491 with a missing black pawn and a couple of damaged white pieces.  You could make the guy a more-reasonable offer than what he's asking and see if you can get your extra queens!

GrandPatzerDave:  Done!  Thanks for the excellent suggestion!  Although I have to admit that I didn't know that I wanted extra queens until you mentioned it... surprise 

GrandPatzerDave

1491 Alert!  Ran across this one this morning (20220525) CDT.

GrandPatzerDave

And excellent, if slightly dusty, 1491 appeared this morning (20220529) CDT.  This one has the slide-top plastic box with the sticker.  I wish I had the sticker...  tongue

RussBell
GrandPatzerDave wrote:

And excellent, if slightly dusty, 1491 appeared this morning (20220529) CDT.  This one has the slide-top plastic box with the sticker.  I wish I had the sticker...  

Gone.  appears someone got a good deal....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265712671819?hash=item3dddb59c4b%3Ag%3AWcQAAOSw5-Fikqu-&nma=true&si=1Rs7u1b1SwfTDXU%252FEwhBeOc2T5w%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

michaelcausey7

There's a perfect 1498 on flea bay this am. 40. buck plus 8 shipping. Mint...

DrChesspain
michaelcausey7 wrote:

There is no shortage of 1498 sets.  They're frequently being sold on eBay for right around $40.

TundraMike

Does anyone know if one color is more desirable to collect over the black pieces? I have a brownish one. Was wondering if this is "scarcer" than the plain black and white pieces?  It came in a blue cardboard box.  I know the set itself is not in great demand and is not scarce. although I do see some go for 89-129, I think that is way too high. 

RussBell

Mike -

As indicated throughout this forum thread, Cavalier #1491 is the iconic, most desirable, rarest and most expensive of the Pacific Game Co. Cavalier sets.  The reasons why are documented ad nauseum in this forum thread.  It is the only set that is Black and Ivory.  Originally the set came in a blue cardboard box.  Later they switched to a brown, bakelite plastic box with sliding lid.

TundraMike
RussBell wrote:

Mike -

As indicated throughout this forum thread, Cavalier #1491 is the iconic, most desirable, rarest and most expensive of the Pacific Game Co. Cavalier sets.  The reasons why are documented ad nauseum in this forum thread.  It is the only set that is Black and Ivory.  Originally the set came in a blue cardboard box.  Later they switched to a brown, bakelite plastic box with sliding lid.

Thanks, I breezed through the former posts.  I sold my pristine heavy-weighted Drueke Sets black and ivory and red and ivory with pristine boxes a few years back. I know this set will not get anywhere close to those prices which have doubled since I sold mine. But mine is in pristine condition as I was taken out of the box once set up and put away for the last 40 years. All my sets are stored on the first floor so no musty odors are ever-present. So I will sell mine for $50 to $80 when I come across it in my plastic storage bins, which might be a year from now. That is as soon as I finally retire if I ever can!! Not looking to get rich, I like to price items for a quick sale.

GrandPatzerDave
DrChesspain wrote:
michaelcausey7 wrote:

There is no shortage of 1498 sets.  They're frequently being sold on eBay for right around $40.

I have a few of both the 1491 and 1498.  What I look for in the 1498 is the quality of the marbling - and the one @michaelcausey7 mentioned is one of the nicest I've seen.