Forums

chess books and pgn files

Sort:
wormtownpaul

Why don't chess books in this day and age *always* (rather than never) include a disc with pgn files?  It would be SO much easier to go through a book on the computer than setting up all of the pieces or just looking at the diagrams the book contains.

azziralc

There are now e-books online and it is more convinient. 

azziralc

But I prefer the books rather than on the internet. The video lessons are more better than books.

iotengo
wormtownpaul wrote:

Why don't chess books in this day and age *always* (rather than never) include a disc with pgn files?  It would be SO much easier to go through a book on the computer than setting up all of the pieces or just looking at the diagrams the book contains.

Because it would cost a lot more for the publishers to publish the book (a lot more than you'd think).

Allowing a PGN download from the publisher's website might be an alternative, but you still need to pay someone to write the initial file and maintain the pages. They probably also don't do this because of some bogeyman fear of piracy.

JamesCoons

The reason is fear of piracy. Authors  fear that the files will get widely distributed and people won't feel the need to buy the books. 

Genghis_McCann

The games might get distributed but you would still have to buy the book to get the analysis. I agree that it makes sense to distribute a CD or at least an online link to the pgn sources. It is a real pain in this day and age to struggle through each example manually.

Genghis_McCann

Also you should have access to the online e-books if you have already baought the paper version. Magazines do this all the time.

JamesCoons

I purchase many of the PGN format ebooks from Everyman books because of the convenience. I use ChessX which you can download from (www.box.com/chessx ) for reading them. I agree having the games/analysis in a digital format is a huge advantage and wish more companies would do that. The more that we as consumers take advantage of that by buying from them, then the more companies will choose to publish digitally. The more people that engage in piracy, the fewer that will do so.

longo2012
wormtownpaul wrote:

I think you can make your own pgn file of the games, and eventually if you have other chess friends, like in a book club, and they do the same with other books, you can have many books in pgn format, without waiting publishers or heaven to happen on earth.

You just need to find few friends, and decide which books everyone will read.