Forums

chesscafe.com sets. worth buying now?

Sort:
9kick9

They do have a problem with their supplier as the weights on some pieces portrude from the bottom & make the pieces look warped. The Rosewwod set I ordered is almost black but, I had three white pawns with the weight problem & they replaced all 3 pawns for free in 3 days. The Golden Sheesham I ordered had the same weight problem on 6 pieces so, they sent me a new set with postage paid lable to send the damaged peaces back. They do take care of you in this regard!

mrsuitcase

Good to know!

InceptSean
Like the good-prices wood ones don't have labels. Is there any place I can get a good wooden tournament edition fold-up chess set for like $25 or below. People that spend over $60 on a chess set are ridiculous.
9kick9

If you have been following this thread, Chess Cafe is selling the International Tournament set for about 12 USD. You can't get a wood set for less than that from what I have seen. Thier Olympian is under 30 bucks also.

guardianx9

Score one set of international wood..oh yeah

Quasimorphy

I bought an ebonized New Classic set for $26. I see they've jacked the price up on that one today.

Also, bought a rosewood International. I couldn't pass up one of those at that price.

guardianx9

Ugh i brought another chess set... I think i have an impluse buy addiction

goldendog
Lvl6Incept-Sean wrote:
Like the good-prices wood ones don't have labels. Is there any place I can get a good wooden tournament edition fold-up chess set for like $25 or below. People that spend over $60 on a chess set are ridiculous.

Many enjoy better quality in the equipment they're always handling and looking at. Hardly ridiculous

9kick9

Your right goldendog... A nice wood set cannot be beat IMO. Plastic dosn't come close to the beauty of wood. Chess Cafe does offer other nice wood sets as well. They are priced much lower than competing chess retailers from what I have seen.

mrsuitcase

Just received mine.  Awesome - they are weighted, and look great.  I've never owed a set as good as this.  My total price was great @ around $37 ($13 for the pieces).  If the shipping was cheaper to Canada, I'd have gone nutso with this sale.

guardianx9

I take mine to the park n people enjoy the pieces as i whoop their asss..and vice versa

InceptSean

A.D.D. affects my impulsive buying....lol...