Forums

Chessmaster 10th Edition

Sort:
kkbell420

I just recently got back in to playing chess,  just as a hobby.  I was a big fan of the Chessmaster series and I owned 3 different versions,  but I have no idea of what happened to them over the years.  I realize that they have been discontinued,  and for that reason,  Chessmaster 11 (the last version) is ridiculously high ($99).  I think the most I ever paid for any version of Chessmaster was $20.

Anyway,  a few weeks ago I opted for Chessmaster 9000.  I found it on Amazon for about $20 including delivery.  The cheapest I could find Chessmaster 10 was about $40,  until today.  One of Amazon's retailers has it for $7.99 + $3.99 shipping.  I just figured some of you may want to know.  I know that a lot of chess players feel like Chessmaster is a toy,  and I know that it's engine isn't as strong as Fritz, Houdini,  Rybka,  etc.,  but I have Fritz 13,  and personally,  I feel as though the tutorials for a beginner/intermediate chess player are much better and more structured in the Chessmaster series.  

Just wanted to pass the word on.

Pat_Zerr
kkbell420 wrote:

I realize that they have been discontinued,  and for that reason,  Chessmaster 11 (the last version) is ridiculously high ($99).

What?  If someone's getting $99 for Chessmaster 11, they're ripping people off.  I downloaded it directly from Ubisoft for $20 a year or so ago.  I have no idea if it's still available or not, but $99 is way too high.

Aetheldred

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/341421-Chessmaster-Grandmaster-Edition-Downloads-Forums

Top it all with Beeryus mod.

Everything works, 100% guaranteed.

analyzethispgn

@atheldred  im confused by all the links. is there a link to download the actual chessmaster program or are these kinks for people who already own chessmaster.

im not looking to get it for free. im willing to buy it but i cant find where to download it.

thanks

kkbell420

Those links are for people who already own Chessmaster.  I looked all over the internet for a place to download Chessmaster 11 legitimatly and couldn't find one.  I ended up finding a website that sold the French version on dvd for $8.99.  The only thing "French" about it was the packaging and the included instructional manual,  so it ended up being a good deal.  Since I purchased it,  that website no longer sells it,  but if I were you,  I would keep an eye out for the French version online.  You may be able to find it for a much more reasonable price than the English version.

analyzethispgn

thanks. amazon have versions some times but the ones i seen lately are very expensive

Bronco

I bought it from office max for $10 last year or so

gtosoun

CM 9 has the same tutorials with 10 i think, it's in the last version ( CM 11 the Grandmaster edition) that they put some extra tutorials.

So if you have difficulties getting CM 10 or 11, CM 9 is an excellent choice as well.

About the price, ~30$ is fair, i got them for ~45 euros when they got out, which is about 55 - 60$. Check amazon etc, you don't need to pay a fortune to sites trying to take advantage of the discontinuation of the series and of your love to the game of chess!

kkbell420

Chessmaster 9000 doesn't have the Josh Waitzken Academy.  That's only in 10th and GM Edition.

analyzethispgn

thats good to know. chessmaster was recommended to me for the josh waitzken academy. at least i know what version to go for now.

ive just done a search on amazon and there are 4-5 versions of chessmaster 10 availlable which were published between 2004 and 2010.

does anyone know what year the josh waitzkin lessons were published

licxjo

Check e-bay.  There are usually copies available there.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get the Grandmaster edition to work on my Windows 7 computer.  So I've stayed with Chessmaster 10.  I don't think the differences were that significant.

ChessHead42
licxjo wrote:

Check e-bay.  There are usually copies available there.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get the Grandmaster edition to work on my Windows 7 computer.  So I've stayed with Chessmaster 10.  I don't think the differences were that significant.

Thanks.  So ChessMaster 10 runs OK on Windows 7?

kkbell420

I don't know about Windows 7,  but I have Chessmaster 9000,  10th Edition,  and GM Edition all running in Windows 8 with no problems at all.  I had to run CM 9000 in "Compatability Mode" just to get it to install,  but since then,  no problems at all.

strngdrvnthng

kkbell420 wrote:

I don't know about Windows 7,  but I have Chessmaster 9000,  10th Edition,  and GM Edition all running in Windows 8 with no problems at all.  I had to run CM 9000 in "Compatability Mode" just to get it to install,  but since then,  no problems at all.

That works for Windows 7 too. I have CM Grandmaster Ed running on two Windows 7 machines and it works flawlessly on both...it even interfaces beautifully with my DGT board. I find it much easier to play against the computer when I can use real board and pieces. Cheers, John C.

john2054

Chessmaster 9 does have most of the Josh Waitzkin games in, but it you want the Larry S games you are better going for cm 10. cm11 offers nothing new over cm 10, only it is double the price. i have owned both. also i brought my copy of cm 10 off ebay a few months ago for £5.

tfulk

I see that Amazon has Fritz 12 for 9.99 and ships free with Amazon prime. Doesn't Fritz have instructional videos, too?

john2054

Fritz does have videos true, (if you can figure out how to get them to play). However they are done by different people, whereas chess master is all done by the same one or two guys.

alabar

I like the chessmaster series.

pwned-again

fmakawa

Does anyone have the Beeryus mods? The link above doesn't work anymore