Forums

Chronos vs Excalibur

Sort:
Penguininja

Hi. I've had the Excalibur clock for a year and It has been working well but I was thinking about getting the Chronos. Are there any major advantages about the chronos cause if there isn't i think I'll just stick with the excalibur. Cool

Phylar

Well since you didn't give anything discriptive I'll just tell you what I know.

The Chronos as it is called, is a powerful time warping machine whose domain lays with whomever controls it. It is not large and can be worn as a watch or necklace. I caution the user on time manipulation though, as the effects can be catastrophic.

The Excalibur on the other hand is a famed mythical and magical sword possessed by King Arthur. Legends tell of it's mysterious power and unbreakable might. Those who wield it are said to have the power of man and the ability to bring others unto them.

I dunno...I kinda like swords so I'd stick with Excalibur :D

Penguininja

haha verrrry funnnnny

baddogno

Well you can get the Chronos with a touch sensor which is pretty cool although some bullet and blitz players are used to using captured pieces to hit the buttons which doesn't work and hate touch sesnsors.  Of course you could also get the ZMF 2 for about $50 with touch sensors although some people hate them because the display isn't bright enough to use outside.  Clocks are a really personal choice....

BigLew

Chronos is built better, tougher. As hard as the Excalibur is to program the Chronos is even more difficult.  The chronos is quiter. Both have alot of features, Chronos may have one or to more. You can buy 3-4 Excaliburs for the price of one Chronos. Chronos will not do Scrabble® or word game style overtime, Excalibur will, if that is important to you.  Neither clock will help you play better chess.

Personaly I like the Duel Timer, full feateured, easy to set, made in USA, quiet, atrractive and good deals can be founs on ebay.

waffllemaster

When you watch someone set a chronos it looks like magic and you think it must be very difficult... but it's actually one of the simplest to set IMO.

chessgm8

I have a short Chronos clock, and I would like to share my thoughts.

I used to have an Excalibur clock, but it broke within 6-8 months (with nearly constant use). I wouldn't recommend the Excalibur for someone who is practicing alot of OTB blitz, for you would need to hit the buttons alot--this was the cause of ours breaking.

The Chronos is built much stronger than the Excalibur, and it has maybe more functions than the Excalibur. The LONG Chronos is a bit harder to set--the short Chronos is quite easy to set. It didn't take but 30 minutes to have the whole clock figured out! Anyway, the Chronos doesn't do Scrabble or Go (unlike the Excalibur), if that is important. The Chronos also lasts a lifetime--and has a 10-year warranty. The Chronos also has a better display than the Excalibur, IMHO. One bad thing about the Chronos is that in order to change the batteries, you would have to unscrew all the outer panels.

Overall, I would recommend the Chronos over the Excalibur. ;)

chessgm8
franksmith wrote:

Excalibur the sword is better than Chronos the villian....

I thought we were talking about the clocks...

waffllemaster

Sadly my Excalibur recently broke as well.  I need to buy a new clock.  I had no problems with it except durability.  My next clock will be a different brand.

chessgm8
waffllemaster wrote:

Sadly my Excalibur recently broke as well.  I need to buy a new clock.  I had no problems with it except durability.  My next clock will be a different brand.

Such as a Chronos! :P

Markle

I have a chronos clock i purchased back in April used maybe in 3 Tourn. and when i got ready to go to a tourn. yesterday the damn thing would not work. Now i know you can get  a bad one no matter what brand you buy but i am really not happy with this, Can anyone tell me how and where to ship it back for repair?

Penguininja

i like the click of the chronos clocks but they seem to be pretty expensive.

I'm thinking of getting one of the big ones despite the price but does anyone know a good site to order from?

Snar
BigLew wrote:

Chronos is built better, tougher. As hard as the Excalibur is to program the Chronos is even more difficult.  The chronos is quiter. Both have alot of features, Chronos may have one or to more. You can buy 3-4 Excaliburs for the price of one Chronos. Chronos will not do Scrabble® or word game style overtime, Excalibur will, if that is important to you.  Neither clock will help you play better chess.

Personaly I like the Duel Timer, full feateured, easy to set, made in USA, quiet, atrractive and good deals can be founs on ebay.

Idk about the excalibar, but the Chronos is pretty easy to set after you learn how

baddogno
Markle wrote:

I have a chronos clock i purchased back in April used maybe in 3 Tourn. and when i got ready to go to a tourn. yesterday the damn thing would not work. Now i know you can get  a bad one no matter what brand you buy but i am really not happy with this, Can anyone tell me how and where to ship it back for repair?

On the off chance that you haven't taken care of this yet, there were a couple of previous threads on "chronos repair".  I remember when the main one was current and there were some very unhappy people but maybe things have changed.

NubeDad

ChessGM8, you wrote "The Chronos also lasts a lifetime--and has a 10-year warranty."

You may want to check the accuracy of that statement.  The way I understand it, if you purchase a Chronos directly from the manufacturer (ChronosDealer.com), you receive a 5 year warranty.  But that same clock comes with a 1 year warranty when purchased from a dealer like WholesaleChess.com or USCFsales.com.

EscherehcsE
hessmaster wrote:

i like excalibur cause u can bash it with ur pieces lawl

chronos needs a touch sensor o.0

once i hit it too hard in a game and my opponent complained so i punished her by promoting my pawns into rooks and mating her with like 5 rooks

May our paths never cross over the board. You damage my clock, and you've bought it at double retail, or you'll have a small-claims lawsuit on your hands. And you won't bash my clock a second time. Guaranteed.

Mainline_Novelty
hessmaster wrote:

once i hit it too hard in a game and my opponent complained so i punished her by promoting my pawns into rooks and mating her with like 5 rooks

Lame...you should've done it with Knights Tongue Out

NubeDad

Quote from yooney123:  I'm thinking of getting one of the big ones despite the price but does anyone know a good site to order from?

Wholesale Chess has (for the moment, at least) a few of the long Chronos IIs for $110 plus free shipping.  If you want one, now is the time to order, since I doubt they'll have them tomorrow:

http://www.wholesalechess.com/shop/chess_clocks/chronos_chess_clocks?sort=featured