Forums

Commuter Train Books

Sort:
mrsuitcase

All chess tactic books can be read on a commuter train with little problem - this is a given.  But......

For variety's sake, are there any other chess books (non-puzzle/non-tactics) you can recommend out there that can be read on a subway/commuter train without a board?

Give us your suggestions, please!

As an example I've come across a good one that I recently finished:

Dan Heisman's "A Guide to Chess Improvement: Best of Novice Nook"

dtrossen

I would recommend downloading the apps e+Chess and Forward Chess for your phone.  The apps are free, although the books are of course not.

Both apps track the lines on a digital board as you go through a book.  The library of available books is somewhat limited, but there are definitely some gems in both libraries.  As examples, the Sillman Endgame Course is in the e+Chess library, and Tal-Botnivik 1960 is in the Forward Chess library.  By using these apps, you don't have to avoid more dense books just because they are too complicated to visualize when reading without a board.

MrSkull

"The Complete Chess Addict" by Mike Fox. Highly entertaining stuff like chapters listing the strongest chess-playing people from film (eg Stanley Kubrick, Bogart, Brando and John Wayne), from sport (GM Agdestein the Norwegian footballer, Lendl, Ossie Ardiles, Ron Guidry, Gene Tunney, di Stefano), politics (Tito, Kadar, Che Guavara,) the church, musicians, writers, philosophers, businessmen and so forth - you get the picture ? Example games are given, and there is plenty more besides, including photos and illustrations.  And written with humour !
First published 1987.

lasertswift
MrSkull wrote:

"The Complete Chess Addict" by Mike Fox. Highly entertaining stuff like chapters listing the strongest chess-playing people from film (eg Stanley Kubrick, Bogart, Brando and John Wayne), from sport (GM Agdestein the Norwegian footballer, Lendl, Ossie Ardiles, Ron Guidry, Gene Tunney, di Stefano), politics (Tito, Kadar, Che Guavara,) the church, musicians, writers, philosophers, businessmen and so forth - you get the picture ? Example games are given, and there is plenty more besides, including photos and illustrations.  And written with humour !
First published 1987.

I really enjoyed this book and even got the sequel "The Even More Complete Chess Addict."  Fun reads!

hicks83

Is it still widely available?

A quick Amazon search doesn't reveal much.