Forums

Computers as sparring partner

Sort:
Dan268982
[COMMENT DELETED]
Vease
Nygren wrote:

As part of my chesstraining I consider using Fritz more as sparring partner. Not just by analysing my otb games. I played a 25 min. game vs. 1500 yesterday and outplayed it slowly. (I have an elo about 1650).

My impression is that it played more natural/human than expected.

My reasons for chosing Fritz and not human opponents are:
- I can select a rated play and always play vs. rating 100 points above my own "fritz-rating"- No need to wait on some chessserver for an opponent who wants to play a 30 min game.

- I can set it to play a specifik opening.

What are your opinion about using computers as sparring partner? Any hints and advice?

How do you set Fritz to play a specific opening AT A HANDICAP LEVEL? I know you can set up opening positions to play, but I can only get it to play at full strength from those positions.

IpswichMatt
Vease wrote:
Nygren wrote:

As part of my chesstraining I consider using Fritz more as sparring partner. Not just by analysing my otb games. I played a 25 min. game vs. 1500 yesterday and outplayed it slowly. (I have an elo about 1650).

- I can select a rated play and always play vs. rating 100 points above my own "fritz-rating"- No need to wait on some chessserver for an opponent who wants to play a 30 min game.

What are your opinion about using computers as sparring partner? Any hints and advice?

How do you set Fritz to play a specific opening AT A HANDICAP LEVEL? I know you can set up opening positions to play, but I can only get it to play at full strength from those positions.

I've got Fritz 10, and I've just tried this:

(1) STart a new game (Game->New Game)

(2) Did Engine->Infinite Analysis (just to stop it making moves)

(3) Entered a few moves

(4) Game->Levels->handicap and fun, clicked "Drunk"

(5) Entered another move and Fritz plays from the position in "Drunk" mode

Is that what you were after?

Vease

Thats interesting Matt, It doesn't seem to work if you just turn the engine off which is what I was doing because when you set the handicap levels it just starts a new game from the starting position. I will give your method a try.

EddieFreak

I like to use weak engines instead of dumbing down a strong engine.  I've put Fritz at 3 ply and it still killed me.  Shredder does a much better job of it. I prefer to load up T.rex 1.8.5.  It's agrressive and tries to attack before its finished developing (just like I do)  If I want a weaker engine I use Youk.  My favorite engine is TarraschToyEngine.905.  It's about ~1500-1600.  I can't beat it at full strength but I love it's playing style.

Mandy711
Nygren wrote:

I agree with your use of chess program for sparring partner for 25 min time control. It's almost impossible to get a human opponent at that time control. Playing fast time control with human players does not help you improve. It's for fun only.

AhmedSobhii

oh I am rated 2552 on fritz :) it is good but has a lot blunder just can't be made by real GM :)

Knight-Crimson

Did anybody try HIARCS Chess Explorer?

http://www.hiarcs.com/chess-explorer.htm

I think it is definitely worth to try. You are given the options of choosing the engine strength, user defined time controls, etc. It has been also officially declared that HIARCS in comparison to any other known engine has most human-like style of play! I purchased it and like it a lot!

mldavis617

I'm not sure about older versions of Fritz, but "Friend" mode in Fritz 13 automatically adjusts its playing strength to the player.  Obviously this takes a couple of games for the engine to assess your strength, but you can also handicap it with "pawn points" to start out if you don't want to go even-up on the first game.  To be honest, I have never used that function so I can't advise how "human" it plays.  I use it only for post-game analysis and for following book games.