Forums

Dubrovnik 1950 Reissue

Sort:
TheOldReb

What about Russian sets ?  Are there any really nice Russian sets ? 

strngdrvnthng

Reb, I just found a repro' of a Russian set today on Chessbazaar.com...http://www.chessbazaar.com/reproduced-antique-russian-series-stained-chess-set-in-box-wood-4-1-king.html would this be what you mean? I also picked up one of these a couple of months ago, and it sits nicely on my handmade chess table...http://www.chessbazaar.com/chess-pieces/reproduced-antique-chess-sets/reproduced-antique-series-austrian-coffee-house-old-vienna-chess-pieces-in-dyed-box-wood-4-2-king.html Cheers, John C.

goodknightmike
Reb wrote:

What about Russian sets ?  Are there any really nice Russian sets ? 

You can still find some nice vintage Russian Soviet sets on Ebay.  Here 's a circa 1950s set

strngdrvnthng

Very nice! Thanks for posting. : )

TheOldReb

Very nice !  I will have to check them out and sweet talk my wife a bit .... Wink

Retired_Account

I see Russian sets like that one all the time on ebay.  Most of them are in rather rough shape, and they would probably be unweighted.  Beautiful sets, and quite exotic and nostalgic too from an American point of view. 

The Austrian "coffeehouse" sets are some of the best when it comes down to playing a game, and they're probably the most durable of the finer sets you'll come across. 

strngdrvnthng

And they have a look and feel of old world charm, which certainly enhances my enjoyment of playing OTB with friends using nice pieces and playing surfaces that I don't get with plastic pieces and roll up vinyl boards. : )

JackShrader

Today chessbazaar have launched a reproductin of the Durbovnik chess set as well. Link follows

http://www.chessbazaar.com/chess-pieces/mid-range-chess-pieces/exclusive-19th-century-historic-dubrovnik-wooden-chess-pieces-in-sheesham-box-wood-3-6-king.html

goodknightmike
JackShrader wrote:

A very nice Dubrovnik For $119 with fee shipping.

baddogno

I was all excited when I got their email until I realized it was Sheesham.  Wish they had made both sides of boxwood and dyed the dark pieces a reddish brown.  I just can't take the stripes.  Heck of a deal though.

goodknightmike
baddogno wrote:

I was all excited when I got their email until I realized it was Sheesham.  Wish they had made both sides of boxwood and dyed the dark pieces a reddish brown.  I just can't take the stripes.  Heck of a deal though.

Eventually, one of Indian  set makers will get it right and have the dark pieces stained in brown. But this is an added expense and would increases selling price

Bronco

Hmm the profile of the knight looks like a unicorn to me. No offense

goodknightmike
Bronco70 wrote:

Hmm the profile of the knight looks like a unicorn to me. No offense

Both this Knight and the original Dubrovnik Knights were designed to have a whimsical look, which your "unicorn" description certainly portrays.

Bronco

I agree. But the chess bazaar one looks a smidgin too long to me. Maybe it's the angles in the pics. I think they are sharp looking sets from all of the sites

goodknightmike
Bronco70 wrote:

I agree. But the chess bazaar one looks a smidgin too long to me. Maybe it's the angles in the pics. I think they are sharp looking sets from all of the sites

I've ordered the Bazaar Dubrovnik. I'll post pictures from all angles when I get it.

Bronco

Very nice! Keep those pictures coming :)

OxonChess

You get what you pay for the NOJ sets are much nicer.