Forums

good books for beginners

Sort:
CmanBst

I have just begun playing chess recently and wondered if anybody knew any books that are good for beginners.

brocolli639

Chess.com is more than a book.(Or even all chess books combined!)

Bardu

I would check out Predator at the Chessboard. When you are first starting out like me you need to study tactics.

Shivsky

NM Dan Heisman's reading list a must-see.

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm

Tekoa

Yasser Seirawan has a series of books that are suitable for beginners. Some of which he has co-authored with Jeremy Silman. I have found them very good.

Fromper

I've heard that The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess is the best beginner's book around, though I haven't read it, so I can't compare.

Silman's Complete Endgame Course is great. Just start with the first chapter or two for the immediately useful stuff, then you can move on to the rest later in life.

Other than that, get yourself a book of easy tactics puzzles. Dan Heisman's list, linked above, is probably a good place for recommendations.

nobi
CmanBst wrote:

I have just begun playing chess recently and wondered if anybody knew any books that are good for beginners.

Go here and find the best chess books.

www.expert-chess-strategies.com

CmanBst

I think im gonna try out chess for dummies and Jeremy Silman's Complete Endgame Course thanks for all the posts

stwils

The Complete Idiot's Guide is MUCH better than Chess for Dummies.

stwils

CmanBst

Ok thanks I'll try that one then.