Forums

Google Books?

Sort:
Somebodysson

Hi, someone on chess.com has tried to help me read  chess books on google books, but I have been unsuccessful, and I don't want to bother this person anymore. I have tried all the things suggested, and I have followed online instructions, to no avail. My laptop is current, and I have no problems with it. Can someone offer to walk me through, step by detailed step, reading a  particular chess book on google books, until I am successful. It can be any chess book, as I'm sure that once we demonstrate how to do it with one, I will be able to do it with others. Thanks. Alejandro. 

EscherehcsE

What kind of problems are you having? Error messages?

What things did the other person suggest?

Which browser are you using?

Somebodysson

using chrome. Person said, for e.g. Hoffer's book on Lasker-Tarrasch match was on google chrome. I read the instructions, and was supposed to be able to click on the book cover, and read it. No can do. I'm not getting any error message, I just can't open a book to read anything. If you can find any chess book that you can open and read on google books, and send me the link, then I'll click on the link, and I'll tell you if I'm successful in opening it too.  

EscherehcsE

OK, I use Firefox. I just tried this one with success: http://books.google.com/books?id=FiUCAAAAYAAJ

Clicking on the book cover did work. One question for you - Are you using the NotScript extension for Chrome? I use NoScript for Firefox, and I have to enable a couple of scripts before Google Books will work. (The google.com and gstatic.com scripts.)

Somebodysson
EscherehcsE wrote:

OK, I use Firefox. I just tried this one with success: http://books.google.com/books?id=FiUCAAAAYAAJ

Clicking on the book cover did work. One question for you - Are you using the NotScript extension for Chrome? I use NoScript for Firefox, and I have to enable a couple of scripts before Google Books will work. (The google.com and gstatic.com scripts.)

EschershcsE, I think you're on to something. I'm in chrome. Do you mean I need to enable some scripts? Do you know how?

EscherehcsE

If you're not using NotScript, I think all the scripts should be enabled by default. But assuming NotScript works like NoScript, if you install NotScript into Chrome, the default condition is that all scripts are disabled, and you have to decide which scripts need to be enabled.

In other words, if you didn't install NotScript, then Google Books should work. If you did install NotScript, then you'll probably have to enable some scripts.

Somebodysson

EschershcsE, I cannot open that book by clicking on the cover from that link, so you're onto something. I'm looking for how to enable those scripts and I can't find it. Can you help? 

Somebodysson

I did not install notscript, and it is not present nor enabled. And yet I cannot open that book. 

EscherehcsE

I'm not sure I have any other ideas.

One longshot - Did you try clearing the browser cache?

(I'm done for the night - gotta get some sleep. cya tomorrow.)

Somebodysson

k thanks. 

RichColorado

I just went there and you can download free versions they will be pdf files.

You have to download and open them as a pdf files and the are readable only.

Denver

ifekali

Are Books on Google Play available in your country? (Not in mine ...)

-Izmet

Somebodysson
DENVERHIGH wrote:

I just went there and you can download free versions they will be pdf files.

You have to download and open them as a pdf files and the are readable only.

Denver

@denverhigh: can you include a link of a book that you can actually open and read the whole thing in pdf? I can't find a chess book that I can open and see the entire book in pdf, and I want to test with a link that someone else can actually open? Are you opening it in googleplay or googlebooks? Thanks. And ifekali, I had wondered if it was a country issue (I'm not in the US) but this chess.com member told me she had friends in my country who do read google books so I want to see if the problem is on my end. I am NOT getting that error message 'Google nooks is not available in your country". I have been assured it IS available in my country, so I want a walk through of the specific steps people are using to read a particular book to test this. Thanks. Alejandro

Somebodysson
petrip wrote:

who said you can read it in full there? it is till copyrigthed material. On that page there is link on 'why cant read this book' or 'where is rest of this book'

that's exactly what I get. But other people in the US say they can read the whole thing. I'm trying to figure out if its a country thing or a problem with my computer settings. I'm trying to find someone who will post a link with a book they can open the whole thing and read it on google books, and see if I can do the same. 

EscherehcsE

You could install the Firefox browser and try accessing Google Books with that.

Also, to see if it's a country thing, you could install a free VPN and pick a server in the U.S.  Here's a simple VPN that works for me, although it does have a daily traffic limit:  http://www.securitykiss.com/index.php

And of course, any time weird things start happening on my PC, I immediately run manual checks for viruses, malware, etc.

DrFrank124c

If you cannot access Google Books you can also try archive.org. They have the mostly the same free books there.  

Somebodysson

thanks DrFrank. I just successfully saw two of the books I'm interested in on archive.org, and successfully opened them. Awesome. So googlebooks for some reason just won't work for me, but archive.org has no problem at all. Thank you everyone.