HOS New Limited Edition 1849

ROBB_CHESS

Only 50 sets will be made... Genuine ebony and boxwood additional. Knights look good I think...

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-new-cooke-series-luxury-chess-set-3-5-king.html

loubalch

Can't say as I'm enamored with that snub-nosed knight, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ROBB_CHESS

That's a good phrase ... Snub nose... That's why I actually like the knights as the original 1849's had a snub nose look and small ears... Also looks like the current Jaques Of London 1849 remake... Only thing missing is that beautiful Jaque's stamp on the king... that's a $1,000 extra :)

Gomer_Pyle

I believe Bronco70 recently bought one from the HOS ebay site. It looked very nice. It was on my short list of two for a while but I went with another set. Now that I look at it again I'm tempted. I'm no expert but that knight looks very close to one of the original 1849 knights from Jaques, which is why I was interested in the first place.

Crappov
ROBB_CHESS wrote:

Only 50 sets will be made... Genuine ebony and boxwood additional. Knights look good I think...

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-new-cooke-series-luxury-chess-set-3-5-king.html

Great looking set which I would buy if I had the scratch.  I get confused, though.  I thought the Collector was an 1849 repro:

"Crafted to replicate the design and proportions of the original Staunton pattern Chessmen, registered by Nathaniel Cooke in March of 1849 and first manufactured by Jaques of London in September 1849."

I'm saving up for a Collector, but if I could afford it I'd just buy 'em all.

9kick9

For the price HOS is charging, I can live with my Legend style clone. The Legend clone has lead weights wich is nice. No cracking bases to this date. JMO

TundraMike

I like the Blood Rosewood set. Blood Rosewood is different than Bud Rosewood which is African PadauK. Blood is a much deeper red where AP starts out almost orange. 

ROBB_CHESS

Maybe Bronco could post a few pics of the knights etc....

loubalch
wiscmike wrote:

I like the Blood Rosewood set. Blood Rosewood is different than Bud Rosewood which is African PadauK. Blood is a much deeper red where AP starts out almost orange. 

Mike, if you look on Wikipedia won't find a listing for either bud rosewood or blood rosewood. Those phrases are euphemisms used by vendors to describe any number of reddish colored woods, including some species of rosewood and padauk. In some cases, the manufacturers in India may not know exactly what species of wood they're dealing with. If has a reddish hue they'll call it bud rosewood, if it's a bit darker they'll call it blood rosewood. And in some cases, they'll use these descriptors to mask the fact that they're using red sandalwood, now banned for export and international trade.

9kick9

Also, They can stain them to any color they want.!

Gomer_Pyle

My mistake, Bronco bought the Cooke series and not the New Cooke Series. I forget what all the differences are. You can see his set in post 133 of this thread.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/reproduction-and-real-jaques-of-london-chess-set?page=7

TundraMike

I went to a hardwood site and read that, sorry no URL right off hand. If you look at blood sets they are deep red if you look at AP sets they are orange in color.  I just received a set of "Bud rosewood" and they are dyed deep red to imitate the blood rosewood sets and they smell of shellac and stain. Moral is you get what you pay for. At one time I though HOS was over priced but the quality is undeniable.  I hope CS does not disappoint for the 1849 set they have coming. 

Just take a look at that set HOS has in blood rosewood, then take a look at any set advertised by them as bud rosewood. If you don't see the difference I guess I am the fool.

Bronco

Gomer_Pyle wrote:

My mistake, Bronco bought the Cooke series and not the New Cooke Series. I forget what all the differences are. You can see his set in post 133 of this thread.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/reproduction-and-real-jaques-of-london-chess-set?page=7

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gomer is correct, I purchased the Cooke series from HOS ebay. The differences that I can "see" is the New Cooke knight has a shorter nose, the bishops hats are smaller in diameter and the king is a smidgen shorter (per listing).

They are both still listed on HOS ebay. You may be surprised what they accept as an offer, I was.

TundraMike

You might have bought it during their moving sale. The prices now are not discounted anymore than 20-25% when I go bid on them. I start at 50% off and work up but not to 25% and never get it.  This past Summer's moving sale they were accepting bids much lower.  

Bronco

@wiscmike you are correct. It was just before or at the beginning of their moving sale.

loubalch
wiscmike wrote:

You might have bought it during their moving sale. The prices now are not discounted anymore than 20-25% when I go bid on them. I start at 50% off and work up but not to 25% and never get it.  This past Summer's moving sale they were accepting bids much lower.  

Mike, because the set was replaced with a larger version, they sold off  the smaller sets at auction. So they were willing to accept a price closer to their cost than to retail. This is the only time I've seen HOS reduce their prices below the level you mention.

There are no reserve prices posted during these HOS auctions on eBay, yet curiously enough, the sale prices always seem to fall within the same range. I suspect there's some shill bidding going on to make sure the items don't sell below a certain price point.

Jadoube16

A few comments on my recent purchase, a House of Staunton 3.625" Cooke Series Chess Set in Boxwood and Ebony.

A "Limited Edition Series" of 50 sets. I received no. 51 ! The number is on the COA certificate and the metal plaque. HOS explains that Mr. Camaratta keeps No. 1 for himself and produces 50 sets for customers. Am I lucky to get to last one? Still, it is not Out of stock... 🤔

Under sunlight or intense lighting the black pieces show some subtle dark brown streaks. The ebony is natural and not dyed black. Beautiful.

HOS claims "it is an accurate reproduction of the original Boxwood and Ebony Staunton chessmen". Truly the Cooke pieces are near identical to Jaques Entered No. 628 set (y. 1850) shown in Alan Fersht Guide, except for the Queen's spiky 9 points coronet. I assumed early Jaques queens have 8 or 10. Any Jaques expert can shed some light on this feature?

The 3.625" King is not undersized if compared to the modern standard 3.75" Tournament size. The finial being smaller as they were in early Jaques sets, the King is even a tad bigger than my HOS Professional set King. The Cooke Pawns are 1/16" taller too, measuring 1.95".

With this set I found the meaning of "well-handling set, well-balanced set, etc". Partly because of the weighting. But the shape and the carvings of the horse's neck fits so naturally between the fingers, the master carver of old really achieved combining elegance and convenience.

The Cooke type 1 is my favorite design. In my opinion this unique carving stands apart among the many Jaques Knights variations. The squat head embodies quiet force (in contrast to the Selene horse exhaustion) and pride which emphasizes the presence of this 'minor' piece of the chess battlefield. This is a very nice set. 

A few major vendors offer sets of the Cooke design. There is some choice.