Forums

How To Improve Middlegame Play For 1750 Player

Sort:
keeeganomahoneey

Ok thanks, and I'll read that blog Bronco :)

Bill_C
mldavis617 wrote:
vengence69 wrote:

Ludek Pachmann's 3 volume chess series was released as a single volume. That is a good one as well.

Modern Chess Strategy  by Pachman was the single volume originally copyrighted in 1963.  It was the first and original, then reprinted by Dover in 1971.  The 3 volume set named Complete Chess Strategy was copyrighted in 1975 and is a total re-write of the original, expanded and updated twelve years later.  They are almost completely different works with the 3 volume set being the most recent and most complete.  I have both of these in my library for comparison.

Thanks for the correction.

I remember reading them some 10-15 years ago and enjoyed the books very much. I could have sworn someone had said it was re-released as a single volume set but apparently i was misktaken on that.

I stand corrected.

kikvors

I think you should do Yusupov's orange books (build up your chess 1, boost your chess 1, chess evolution 1).

With most chess books, it is too easy to just read them and not retain much of what is told you. Yusupov's books have 24 chapters each with some examples and good explanation, and then 12 exercises per chapter, many of which will be rather challenging for you. If you do all the exercises of those three books, you will definitely improve. And then there are books 2 and 3 :-)

keeeganomahoneey

Ok thanks :)

Bill_C
kikvors wrote:

I think you should do Yusupov's orange books (build up your chess 1, boost your chess 1, chess evolution 1).

With most chess books, it is too easy to just read them and not retain much of what is told you. Yusupov's books have 24 chapters each with some examples and good explanation, and then 12 exercises per chapter, many of which will be rather challenging for you. If you do all the exercises of those three books, you will definitely improve. And then there are books 2 and 3 :-)

Are those volumes available as e-books? One of my friends who played at the US Open in Vancouver, WA last year suggested then as well but none of the libraries had them available for checkout.

kikvors

No, only as physical books, and he also says that you should use an actual board and pieces for studying everything in it.

Bill_C

Well guess amazon gets to say hi to mr Visa for me to have some fun with them. Thanks Kikvors