Forums

Hawks Art Deco Circa 1930s-1940s Chess Clock

Sort:
goodknightmike

Pictured is an extremely rare and beautiful Art Deco Hawks Chess Clock circa 1930s-1940s with original white plexiglass case and paperwork. I believe the black clock casing is also made out of plexiglass. Without question, the smallest chess clock in the world. Clock measures 4 3/4" x 2 1/8" x 3/4". The clock is in very good condition and shows little wear. Over the years, a part of the black plexiglass arm that swings out of the back to keep the clock upright when playing, has broken off. Another Hawks clock can be seen on Nick Lanier's wonderful chess-museum.com site:http://www.chess-museum.com/recent-entries-in-the-museum.html

FrankHelwig

Congratulations on a fantastic find, Mike! I've seen wooden Hawks clocks before, but never one like this. Absolutely gorgeous!

Is that a move counter on the bottom of each clock face? And does it have flags of some sort?

goodknightmike

Hello Frank:

Thanks for your nice comments.  I was very fortunate to acquire such a rare clock which came in its original case with paperwork

No, its not a move counter, but its a 60 second timer.  The clock does not have flags. I've  seen 2 other Hawks clocks and  both do not have flags. Probably becuase of cost constraints, Hawks probably decided not to add flags.

66joeydonut

wow u should add photo w/ ruler i thoyght photo w/ other clock was just a huge second one

bananaboatcaptain

Amazingly small, even smaller than the DGT 960 clock (5 1/2"  x 2 5/8" x 1").

Also, perhaps one of the last chess clock models not to include flags.

Jim_Ratliff

Mike, It's beautiful. (I'm a huge Art Deco fan.) Any tips on how others might find a similar clock?

Thanks!

goodknightmike

Hi Jim:

The Hawks chess clocks are quite rare and are extremely hard to find. I know of only 2 other Hawks clocks, althought they are not in the Art Deco style. Here is the link to the Chess-Museum site to see the other clocks. http://www.chess-museum.com/recent-entries-in-the-museum.html. As far as I know, mine is the only known example of the Art Deco Hawks clock.

Jim_Ratliff

Thanks, Mike! You've got yourself a winner of a clock!

goldendog

that's what she said.

goodknightmike
goodknightmike wrote:

Pictured is an extremely rare and beautiful Art Deco Hawks Chess Clock circa 1930s-1940s with original white plexiglass case and paperwork. I believe the black clock casing is also made out of plexiglass. Without question, the smallest chess clock in the world. Clock measures 4 3/4" x 2 1/8" x 3/4". The clock is in very good condition and shows little wear. Over the years, a part of the black plexiglass arm that swings out of the back to keep the clock upright when playing, has broken off. Another Hawks clock can be seen on Nick Lanier's wonderful chess-museum.com site:http://www.chess-museum.com/recent-entries-in-the-museum.html

On the cover of the February 1951 issue of Chess Review is pictured a Hawks clock used in a match game.

havard1962

Hi,

I am a chess clock collector from Norway, and wonder if you would sell me  the HAWK chess clock,?

My emailadress:  hsoiland@gmail.com

Best regards,

Harvard Soiland

clcrider7

What are they worth with an ingram viceroy watch in them. Clcrider7@

Cyrosion1

I thought I needed a life