Forums

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

Sort:
SmyslovFan

I agree that My 60 Memorable Games is a classic of objective analysis and interesting games. But if you want a good, well annotated collection of Fischer's games, and the games of other great players as well all in one book, get On My Great Predecessors IV by Kasparov. It is perhaps slightly less pithy, but in every other respect it's a better book.

In fact, I'd recommend any one of the five volumes of KOMGP as an excellent single book to own. Each of them contains fantastic games, deep analysis, and interesting (if not always factually accurate) stories.  

splitleaf
SmyslovFan wrote:

I agree that My 60 Memorable Games is a classic of objective analysis and interesting games. But if you want a good, well annotated collection of Fischer's games, and the games of other great players as well all in one book, get On My Great Predecessors IV by Kasparov. It is perhaps slightly less pithy, but in every other respect it's a better book.

In fact, I'd recommend any one of the five volumes of KOMGP as an excellent single book to own. Each of them contains fantastic games, deep analysis, and interesting (if not always factually accurate) stories.  

My 60 Memorable Games is one of the few chess books left that could think to add to a library that is already too big for its britches.  But its an interesting point you make here, my question is which of the two M60MG or Vol IV of MGP would be of most value to the sub 1600 player?

Hugh_Vincent
Try "Chess Made Easy" by Purdy & Koshnitsky, pub. Penguin Books. It is a small and cheap primer that contains excellent advice.
Benedictine

My 60 Memorable Games is one of the few chess books left that could think to add to a library that is already too big for its britches.  But its an interesting point you make here, my question is which of the two M60MG or Vol IV of MGP would be of most value to the sub 1600 player?

I watched the Q and A with Dan Heisman today who talked about going through master games - which was the question I posted, although someone else posted a similar one. He didn't recommend My 60 Memorable Games for such a rated player, only higher because the analysis/commentary for the book is better for higher rated players. He actually recommended Chernev Logical Chess!!! (And also his new book, plug, plug, which I forget the name of.) He recommended going though master games relatively quickly, as many as possible, maybe 20-40 min max - as I later saw from his website.

gaereagdag

Any book by Reinfeld because I Iearnt the moves from one of his beginner books in 1983.

splitleaf
Benedictine wrote:

I watched the Q and A with Dan Heisman today who talked about going through master games - which was the question I posted, although someone else posted a similar one. He didn't recommend My 60 Memorable Games for such a rated player, only higher because the analysis/commentary for the book is better for higher rated players. He actually recommended Chernev Logical Chess!!! (And also his new book, plug, plug, which I forget the name of.) He recommended going though master games relatively quickly, as many as possible, maybe 20-40 min max - as I later saw from his website.

Thanks Benedictine, Logical Chess is the first book can recall reading cover to cover (many years ago) and could probably use a second helping as I've had several year plus breaks from the game since "taking it up."

Reason I asked the question is more to find out which of the two options would be more use to some one in the rating range I mentioned (or maybe a different option all together).  Am a Capablanca fan (one of his collections is by Reinfeld ;) and have read more then once that Fischer's play is similar so beyond me or not will get a book with his games for art's sake. Laughing

TheThird_Partita

The Mammoth Book of the World's Greatest Chess Games

doctor_seuss

Chess for Dummies if you are a beginner

splitleaf

This might be a better "only" book for a beginner then Chess for Dummies imo (still find going over some of the test puzzles useful).

konhidras

Capablanca's chess fundamentals

splitleaf
konhidras wrote:

Capablanca's chess fundamentals

Picked up the latest edition several weeks ago, which according to reviews has been severely butchered by De Firmian.  Not knowing any better I still enjoyed it. 

JessKidding55

I don't necessarily have one book but I would recommend one author... Bruce Pandolfini.  He has written numerous books on chess basics that I found quite helpful and it was not too high brow to understand.  He was also the chess tutor in the Movie, In search of Bobby Fisher

Bartleby73

I highly recommend Silman's Endgame course.

Andre_Harding
pfren wrote:
ChesterGood wrote:

I don't necessarily have one book but I would recommend one author... Bruce Pandolfini.  He has written numerous books on chess basics that I found quite helpful and it was not too high brow to understand.  He was also the chess tutor in the Movie, In search of Bobby Fisher

True. His books were extensively used in the former USSR. They were given to kindergartens, and kids made nice paper shuttles out of them.

Lol!!!

(I agree with IM pfren's sentiment).

skakmadurinn

Chess Fundamentals by José Capablanca

skakmadurinn

And of course Modern Chess Openings. Thats excellent opening book!

Escapest_Pawn

Surprised no mention of Reuben Fine's Books.  Chess the Easy Way has much of his excellent The Ideas Behind the Openings.  Includes elementary endgame situations (not comparable with his famous endgame tome, Basic Chess Endings, which still gives Sillman and Dvoretsky competition) but plenty for non-reference purposes.  And good advice in general.  Readable, yet not a lightweight beginner's book, although it starts with the rules.  Quite thorough.

sapientdust

My choice for one single book to recommend (for a beginner or intermediate player) would be Dan Heisman's A Guide to Chess Improvement: The Best of Novice Nook. I've learned more from that than from any other single book I've read. It covers the widest range of topics I've seen, including thought process, how and what to study, tactics and strategy, psychology and time management, and many others.

My other choice -- I know, only supposed to be one recommendation, but I can't resist because it's such a great work -- would be Pachman's single-volume Modern Chess Strategy, or the multi-volume Complete Chess Strategy version if you can find it. I only have the abridged single-volume work, but many people recommend the three-volume version, which has lots more examples than the abridged version. I'm still working my way through this book, but it's done more for my positional understanding and my ability to evaluate positions and come up with promising plans than anything else I've read.

royalbishop

Hey i only have money for 1 Book! Ok i will just make friends with every player i know and borrow their books. I will start with you as my friend. Help a chess friend in need.

Escapest_Pawn

Fine's Chess the Easy Way should be available used for $2 or so.  It's a "normal" paperback, not a monster reference tome.