Forums

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

Sort:
TheOldReb

The Game of Chess -  Tarrasch 

bronsteinitz

I see a lot of recommendations for chess fundamentals by Capablanca. I agree that this is an excellent but and add to this that it is available free of charges in an absolutely excellent version from e+chess. Just download their free app and you can download the book for free

vikram014

Simple Chess by John Emms.

It gives you a god positional understanding.

vikram014

Sorry! I spelt good as god.

McSorley

I agree about Pandolfini's books.Chess Openings:Traps and Zaps was fun. Also the Endgame Course.
I love Silman's books as well. He really breaks everything down move by move. It gets a little tedious when you are looking to spend more time studying the board and less time reading analysis (if you get what I mean).

Capablanca is a great way to go as well.

Immoney5252

Thanks for all responses.....tallying up the votes...for my next book....

-Sal

splitleaf
bronsteinitz wrote:

I see a lot of recommendations for chess fundamentals by Capablanca. I agree that this is an excellent but and add to this that it is available free of charges in an absolutely excellent version from e+chess. Just download their free app and you can download the book for free

Thanks, may have a look at that somewhere along the line. :)

Benedictine
Immoney5252 wrote:

Thanks for all responses.....tallying up the votes...for my next book....

-Sal

That's OK, but if you were anything like me I would have ordered 27 by now...

I'm interesting in getting a collected games of Capablanca. Can I just ask if anyone would recommend The Immortal Games of Capablanca or Capablanca Move by Move. Thanks a lot.

Benedictine
pfren wrote:

Any book on Capa is a sure shot. Even Chernev's on his 60 best endings. Factly, it may be the sole good book Chernev ever issued.

OK, great thanks, I think I'll go for The Immortal Games of Capablanca. In terms of Chernev, I think I am in love with Chernev! (Logical Chess) I have his second book in the post at the moment. Cheers.

nextkasparov345

Jeremy Silman and Yasser Sierwan are both great

Benedictine

I think I'll go for The Immortal Games of Capablanca.

Now ordered. Admins please delete this thread as it is offensive to my wallet!

I am very excited about Capablanca though. I have been loving playing through his games recently and can't wait for the Amazon fairies to come.

-waller-

I have Chernevs "Most Instructive Games Ever Played", solely because my dad used to own it (he doesn't play much chess either), but I thought it was a half decent book. Certainly was fun to read through at least.

Vease
-waller- wrote:

I have Chernevs "Most Instructive Games Ever Played", solely because my dad used to own it (he doesn't play much chess either), but I thought it was a half decent book. Certainly was fun to read through at least.

Yes, you can learn a lot of basic strategy from that book. The problem with Chernev is that he gives the impression that every game reduces to the conversion of a basic positional advantage to a straightforward win. He rarely gives any lines showing how the loser could have played better so you just get a one sided view of the game.

6BQ5

Hi! This is my first post to chess.com!

I have been reading "Every Great Chess Player Was Once a Beginner" by Brian Byfield, Alan Orpin, and Alan Cracknell. My son and I have been reading this book together a little bit a time and he has really been enjoying it! He's 6 and the large text and clear pictures help. We got our copy from the library.

-=- Boris

Immoney5252
6BQ5 wrote:

Hi! This is my first post to chess.com!

I have been reading "Every Great Chess Player Was Once a Beginner" by Brian Byfield, Alan Orpin, and Alan Cracknell. My son and I have been reading this book together a little bit a time and he has really been enjoying it! He's 6 and the large text and clear pictures help. We got our copy from the library.

-=- Boris

Good to know ....something to purchase my little one when she gets a bit older

6BQ5
The book is out of print and it is very expensive to purchase. I have read somewhere on a blog that the book has been reissued with a new illustrator under the title of "Learn Chess Quick". Used copies are plentiful and cheap but I don't know if any of the text has been changed. -- Boris
rothbard959

If I there were only one chess book I could recommend, it would be David Bronstein's Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953. Whenever I read this book, I always feel like I was there (in the tournament Zurich 1953 I mean). A strange feeling, but a real one!

konhidras
Benedictine wrote:

I think I'll go for The Immortal Games of Capablanca.

Now ordered. Admins please delete this thread as it is offensive to my wallet!

I am very excited about Capablanca though. I have been loving playing through his games recently and can't wait for the Amazon fairies to come.

You may also like to try Golombek's Capablancas 100 best games. I have the immortal games too but Golombeks book i think is better but just the same all capa books are best (for me)

fianchetto123

if only one, get Polgar's "Chess" with like 6,000 puzzles and games in it. If you can only have one. 

fianchetto123
pfren wrote:

Any book on Capa is a sure shot. Even Chernev's on his 60 best endings. Factly, it may be the sole good book Chernev ever issued.

Oh, I'm blown away by your expertise. 

Don't know what planet you are on now, but on Earth Chernev was a brilliant and prolific author who produced many many books, some of the best out there. I can list the ones I own but don't want to waste time justifying myself against such a ridiculous claim.