Forums

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

Sort:
Oraoradeki

My personal favourite is "Best Lessons of a Chess Coach" by Sunil Weeramantry (I think that he's one of Nakamura's trainers).

Bruch
AndyClifton wrote:
Mandy711 wrote:

The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. This may not be the best but it's enjoyable to read.

Then again, maybe it is the best. 

What rating would this book be appropriate for?  I like Tal, just worried the book might be too advanced.  I've not seen a preview, so it's hard to tell...

AndyClifton

I think you should probably be a B-player.

SmyslovFan

I don't think you need a specific chess rating to enjoy Tal's book. If you have a high school reading ability, you should enjoy his stories. One of the greatest aspects of Life and Games is that Tal makes you want to study his games! His book is inspirational, not just educational.

Mikhail Tal's love of the game is infectious, which is why it's a perennial candidate for best chess book ever written. His audience was every chess lover, not players above a certain rating.

Bruch

step-father and his trainer.

VLaurenT

I'd point to Reti's Masters of the Chessboard, which gives an intelligent and broad perspective on chess. Was a real eye-opener for me.

Immoney5252

Thank you for all responses...I'm certain its beneficial to all rating levels...

Immoney5252

Nice to know hard work pays off!!!

Bruch
Greenmtnboy wrote:
orangeishblue wrote:
Oraoradeki wrote:

My personal favourite is "Best Lessons of a Chess Coach" by Sunil Weeramantry (I think that he's one of Nakamura's trainers).

Or maybe his father

Sunil is a true genius and it was fortuitous that he married Nakamura's mom and then nurtured his talent through the GM category.    I took a few lessons from him back in the 70s and he was everything you needed in a teacher; creative, enthusiastic and brilliant.  It's just that the expense of quality teachers is not something everyone can afford.  

The best teachers I have had over the years have been truly open minded and brilliant pointing toward classical sources for the subject matter.  The worst have been peddlers of stereotypes and simple ideas.

I'm looking forward to reading this book!  It will be in my hands in about 1 week.  What can I expect to learn?

azziralc

"Chess training for Budding Champions" by Jesper Hall. A complete guide on practical training to become a master.

azziralc

I strongly recommend this book as this has almost all of what you should have learn. The book encompasses the:

Pawn-Structure, Mental Training, how to use the computer, how to analyze the games, how to play positional and basic positions and guidelines.

jesterville

That sounds like a great book nyLsel, I will certainly check it out.

Oraoradeki
Bruch wrote:
Greenmtnboy wrote:
orangeishblue wrote:
Oraoradeki wrote:

Or maybe his father

Sunil is a true genius and it was fortuitous that he married Nakamura's mom and then nurtured his talent through the GM category.    I took a few lessons from him back in the 70s and he was everything you needed in a teacher; creative, enthusiastic and brilliant.  It's just that the expense of quality teachers is not something everyone can afford.  

The best teachers I have had over the years have been truly open minded and brilliant pointing toward classical sources for the subject matter.  The worst have been peddlers of stereotypes and simple ideas.

I'm looking forward to reading this book!  It will be in my hands in about 1 week.  What can I expect to learn?

you can expect to learn about outposts, weak color complex, developing pieces, clearance sacrifices, taking advantage of lead in development, How to use 3 minor pieces to fight a queen, pawn chains, attack/defensive tactics, and a legit way to draw.

Sunil is an 1. e4 player (from what I see from his book), and he likes King's bishop fianchetto (or the "Indian style") when hes playing black.

Immoney5252

Thanks^

PAMetalBoss

The Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

mldavis617
PAMetalBoss wrote:

The Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

That's an old book, but I cut my teeth on it decades ago.  I'm going back through it right now, trying to get back into the swing.  His game examples lack the source, and some are perhaps "created" for the purposes of illustration, but as a one book solution, I think it's a worthy candidate.

Immoney5252

Have been making steady improvements in my chess...thanks to all!!!

haystraylor

Bobby Fischer's 60 memorable games.

Immoney5252

thank you

Immoney5252

Hello again,

Its been a couple years now since this post and I have steadily progressed in chess. I have found that  " The Life and games of Mikhail Tal" assisted me in this adventure.  I appreciate everyones input.