Forums

New Dubrovnik 1950 options by Staunton Castle

Sort:
Fer8799
Charousek2002 wrote:
That is a good price in comparison.

And a huge difference in complexity.

Eyechess

The term Dubrovnik II came from Noj when the original Dubrovnik 1950 Olympiad set design came to the forefront.  Noj was given an original set and duplicated its design calling it the Original, which it is.

what was called the Dubrovnik and then called the Dubrovnik II was a version of the design produced in the 1960’s.  This was the set Bobby Fischer bought and popularized in pictures and videos, or so we all thought.

Recently the design we see pictured with Bobby was discovered as yet a different designed set that the previous two.  The Rooks were fatter, for instance.  Noj duplicated this set and it is now called the Dubrovnik Minceta set at Noj.

There are other design variation sets that come up every now and then.  But they all are in the category of Dubrovnik.

TundraMike

The Dubrovnik Minceta I like the best out of the 3 you mention Doc. 

Eyechess

Oh, I agree with you.  I also questioned him about that statement.

TundraMike

Did you all notice the horn on the Dubrovnik Minceta points higher than the original Dubrovnik set?  I do not own either but I am just looking at the pictures. Although I like the Dubrovnik Minceta better overall I like the knight from the original set much better but the rooks and pawn I like better in the Dubrovnik Minceta. 

Did anyone else notice this?

AliDoAnE

<<deleted by mod>> way off-topic 

TundraMike
The_Corroded_King wrote:

[COMMENT DELETED] 

did you delete your own post?  I was hoping to get many opinions on the new looking knight in the Minceta set. 

Eyechess
AliDoAnE wrote:

Nicest people I've ever met so thoughtful

*** SPAMMER ***

pfudie

To answer the question: 

Yes, I have had several enquiries and have sold several sets. However, stocks are limited.

1. My Rooks are already Minceta shaped.
Charousek2002
One problem with antiqued chess sets is after a few years they start becoming darker and darker in color. I prefer natural patina.
Fer8799

In the Sixties the renowned Croatian cartoonist Andrija Maurović designed a reissue of the famous 1950 Dubrovnik set to be mass produced and sold to general public., Some minor details were changed, most notably the size of the pieces (all pieces a bit fatter and taller by about 2 mm), carving of the knights (simplified carving, larger heads) and the number of cuts in the queen crowns (only 5 as opposed to original 12 to 15). Pieces were made in the Vjekoslav Jakopović workshop in Zagreb, Croatia. Comment published in NOJ blog. Nothing more to add, think whatever you want, but just don't try to change the history. BTW, this thread is about a 1950 Dubro repro, create you own thread to sell your Dubro Ii, pieces and no one will compare them with any others.

Fer8799

Chessoholicar escribió:

Fer8799 wrote:

In the Sixties the renowned Croatian cartoonist Andrija Maurović designed a reissue of the famous 1950 Dubrovnik set to be mass produced and sold to general public., Some minor details were changed, most notably the size of the pieces (all pieces a bit fatter and taller by about 2 mm), carving of the knights (simplified carving, larger heads) and the number of cuts in the queen crowns (only 5 as opposed to original 12 to 15). Pieces were made in the Vjekoslav Jakopović workshop in Zagreb, Croatia. Comment published in NOJ blog. Nothing more to add, think whatever you want, but just don't try to change the history. BTW, this thread is about a 1950 Dubro repro, create you own thread to sell your Dubro Ii, pieces and no one will compare them with any others.

I don't want to sell my set.

So, they hired best Yugoslavian cartoonist Andrija Maurovic to simplify chess set? hahaha. I have few Maurovic original biography's from 80's no one mention chess pieces. Interesting. Also is interesting that I played in bunch of tournaments, leagues and dozen chess clubs in Yugoslavia and i never saw "mass produced" original Dubrovnik II. Maybe somebody want to change the history, but it is not me. For me this discussion is over.

yeah, first is because this things "are said in Spain" now the main balcanic producer, have also the wrong info, what's next? please...

Fer8799

And I'm sorry, you don't sell your pieces, he is the one who want to sell his pieces who ALSO said that they were mass produced, and he had more of them. btw, they are nice!!

fartsniffer982
pfudie kirjoitti:

To answer the question: If you would use maple and walnut for the pieces i'd buy instantly

Yes, I have had several enquiries and have sold several sets. However, stocks are limited.

1. My Rooks are already Minceta shaped.