Non-antiqued 1950 Dubrovnik from Staunton Castle

Fer8799

zagryan escribió:

FYI, I've created a T-shirt design for all chess friends & contributors to this thread, especially for those die-hard Dubrovnik supporters :-)

You can actually order it from here. Will delete if it's against the community guideline.

lol XD

sound67

Or, to quote Joseph "JoJo" Stalin: "The wrong number of cuts in a queen's crown is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Eyechess

A comparison of the Noj 1950 Original  Dubrovnik with the Staunton Castle Dubrovnnik without the antiquing, and of the original 1950 Dubrovnik from Izmet's site (www.bestchessmenever.com):

First the Noj pieces:

And now the Staunton Castle pieces (the picture from the beginning of this topic):

And now the original set:

nojchess

I think it is great that there are so many different Dubrovnik chess sets on the market. So everyone that loves Dubrovnik design can get her or his favorite design. 

forked_again

I think the thing that makes Staunton Castle attractive is that they have done the Dubrovnik knight better than most of the others.  That, and the price.  

Eyechess

We are talking about Chess sets/pieces after all is said and done.

Going back to 1849 we see the Jaques company starting Cooke's Staunton design.  And almost immediately as well we see differences in the details of the pieces from set to set, depending on who the artisan  was that made the set.  So we see a more general design state that we end up calling, "Staunton".

The Dubrovnik 1950 set was created and made for the 1950 Olympiad.  The pieces still had the gross Staunton design but of course a lot of the details were different from any of the jaques or other British companies.

From this Original 1950 set we see, relatively soon after, other sets looking  grossly similar but having small differences in the piece designs.  One such example is the set we see Bobby Fiacher pictured with.  He bought that set when he was in that area and ended up using it as his personal set.  

That set's details are quite different from the Original 1950 details.  And we have seen, thanks to Izmet, sets made before the one we see pictured with Bobby yet after 1950.  And yes there are differences in all these sets.

Like the Staunton design sets, there are some Dubrovnik versions that are made better and play better than others of the same ilk. 

Remember Bobby Fischer in the 1990's in a radio interview going on and on about this Dubrovnik set being a perfect set, he was talking about an original 1950 set used in the 1950 Olympiad.  They ended up using that set in the 1992 match.  The one we see with him in pictures was that 1960ish version that he ended up having taken or stolen.

Gregor and his family have paid a lot of attention to duplicated the designs of these sets while also making sure the sets handled and played better.

The bottom line, for me, is that people should get the sets they like.  

gf3

my wife is a camarata 

gf3

swear 2 god.

StevanJovic

Those 2 queens are different.   Look at photo with Fischer , his quuen has 2 carved line , but on new set it is around 4 carved lines.

StevanJovic

this is original fischer set

StevanJovic

StevanJovic

Eyechess

Ah, the topic is the Staunton Castle reproduction of the 1950 Original Dubrovnik set, not any of the later ones.

gf3

contrast is our thing, dark blacks, bright white, thought we were talking about carvers, of who my wife is the tops of tops.

gf3

cream of the cream.

Fer8799

forked_again escribió:

I think the thing that makes Staunton Castle attractive is that they have done the Dubrovnik knight better than most of the others.  That, and the price.  

I agree with you.