Original 1940 Soviet "Championship" Chessmen

cgrau

The 1940 Soviet Championship saw a number of well-known promotional photos taken of a stunning white and black plastic set.  The set is notable among Soviet chessmen in its similarities to English Staunton designs, particularly the knights.

cgrau

In fact, the set seems to have been used prior to 1940 in a red and black resin version.  Here is an example from my collection.

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

cgrau

magictwanger

I have the C.B. reissue and like it....but..."you" hold the crown jewel and it's no surprise you'd have it.

You kinda' remind me of my 6 year old grandson(in a good way...Ha)......He literally has every toy on the planet....I should know.I bought most of them.....One reason why I don't have enough monies,left over,to buy more sets.-happy.png

fightingbob

Another attractive set, Chuck.  Thanks for posting.

UpcountryRain

Beautiful, cgrau. Simply beautiful. Very nice and stocky compared to the usual Soviet sets with slender stems.

Bamboo58

Another wonderful set. Thank you for posting. 

utpic

This is what one would call a hybrid design-wise. As you say, the knights (and bishops?) look as if they jumped off a Staunton set. Should it not be 'Original 1940 "Soviet" Championship Chessmen'? :-). Poor horses, how far did they have to trudge, across countries and continents to get to Moscow? Beautiful set nonetheless. You have an astonishing collection and are very generous in sharing it with all of us. Thank you!

fightingbob

By the way, Chuck, that's a young Vasily Smyslov in the photo, isn't it?  I've never seen him that young in any photo but this one.