Original 1940 Soviet "Championship" Chessmen

utpic

I actually asked Evgeniy (the seller), before cgrau gave his emphatic answer, and he actually sent me a picture to prove it is wood ("500%" sure is he!) :-)

I zoomed in and cropped a section. It is clearly wood, the grain is visible, the sheen of the varnish pronounced, and the flaked off varnish edges discoloured accordingly. 

cgrau
I do have old Soviet sets with similar varnish issues.
utpic

It looks rather nice, I think. happy.png

BonTheCat

Thanks, utpic and Chuck! You learn something new everyday!

utpic: I don't mind the mottling either!

Fer8799

very nice and it looks to be in excellent condition. thanks for sharing!

cgrau
Fer8799 wrote:

very nice and it looks to be in excellent condition. thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome!

Haverumwilltravel

cgrau, you have a very nice collection and good information in your examples. 

I have grown to have an appreciation for nice vintage plastic sets or any vintage quality set for that matter.  Early Bakelite is very brittle especially when expose to sun light UV over time. In the late 30's the process was improved and it held up much better. When WWII broke out countries used the process because it held up well and was cheap to produce. 

cgrau
Haverumwilltravel wrote:

cgrau, you have a very nice collection and good information in your examples. 

I have grown to have an appreciation for nice vintage plastic sets or any vintage quality set for that matter.  Early Bakelite is very brittle especially when expose to sun light UV over time. In the late 30's the process was improved and it held up much better. When WWII broke out countries used the process because it held up well and was cheap to produce. 

Many thanks, especially for the additional information!