Forums

Out of print Winning Pawn Structures book

Sort:
b5squared

I'd like to buy the Winning Pawn Structures book by Alexander Baburin.  However, I'm not willing to pay over $150 (cheapest price I could find on amazon.com) over it.  If it's collecting dust in your book collection, and you're willing to sell it for a reasonable price, please contact me.

Chess.com administrators.  I think it would be a great idea to start up a chess advertisment section to allow members to buy and sell ued chess equipment, book, etc.  Anyways, something to think about.

royalbishop
bfn wrote:

I'd like to buy the Winning Pawn Structures book by Alexander Baburin.  However, I'm not willing to pay over $150 (cheapest price I could find on amazon.com) over it.  If it's collecting dust in your book collection, and you're willing to sell it for a reasonable price, please contact me.

Chess.com administrators.  I think it would be a great idea to start up a chess advertisment section to allow members to buy and sell ued chess equipment, book, etc.  Anyways, something to think about.

I agree that book is way to expensive by 100.00

Buy and sell books here. Nice idea. But if they are using unfair tactics in games then why would you think they would not use unethical means to scam in book sales. Sure Chess.com does not want to get in the middle of that one.

My suggestion buy the book. Scan sections you like and sell it. 2nd option, if you have a really good friend or relative both go half on the book. Take turns reading the book....best part you can sell it after you read it. #3rd option wait till Christmas time this year and put it on your list to the person who can most likely afford to pay for it. Just better be getting them a good gift also. 4th Birthday gift. 5th???

blackrabbitto

Amazon.com seem to have used copies of Baburin's book from $108

fburton

Baburin - that's the one that concentrates on IQP structures, right?

Quasimorphy

I see that scribd.com has it. They tout themselves as an online document library and are associated with many publishers, but there have been complaints about copyright infringement.

b5squared
fburton wrote:

Baburin - that's the one that concentrates on IQP structures, right?

yes

b5squared
Shadowknight911 wrote:

Soltis has a really good classic book on pawn structures that is also out of print.  My dad lucked out, he found and bought this book for 50 cents at the local library book sale.

Are you interested in selling your copy?

Astrocloud

I'm selling my copy on Ebay. The current bid is 0.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181167435743?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

royalbishop

Take a dollar off and it will be a steal!

Chess.com needs to have a thread where member can sell their books ...

via ebay or amazon.

sftac

eBay's typically way, way cheaper for some items I've found (but watch out for surprise S&H rates, always pays to check first).  barnesandnoble.com is bigger on books than amazon, sometimes a better deal there (oops!  $224.00 over there)

eg. Just now that used book's on at $0.99 (+ $16 S&H in the U.S., ouch!  still, it beats paying almost ten times that price.  If there's not much bidding competition, you could 'get it' for $0.99 + S&H)  Ah, I see the vendor's here and already mentioned that.  Of course now that it's mentioned here, it'll probably bid up to $1 million.

You can have ebay email you each time there's a fresh auction matching your search parameters.

There's also abebooks.com (something like $120 by multiple sellers), which is promising (confirms that it's an appreciated reference).

sftac

ps.  Your public library doesn't carry it?  Your library can't get it for you via (free or more or less free) "inter-library loan"?  (I ordered it myself just now in B.C. via inter-library loan.)  Typically stuff goes out of print because it's outdated and/or unpopular/hard to sell (hence, it's not reprinted).  

pps.  There may be lots of (cheap / free and good) books on pawn structures to consider in the meantime.

b5squared
Astrocloud wrote:

Thank you.  I will bid on it, but it's way too early to put in a bid now.

sftac

For sure (I always bid during the last 3-4 seconds at the maximum I'd be willing to pay if, I couldn't borrow such a book through my public library system).

sftac

Astrocloud
sftac wrote:

For sure (I always bid during the last 3-4 seconds at the maximum I'd be willing to pay if, I couldn't borrow such a book through my public library system).

sftac

Back when I had money around 2001... I bought a rare book (since lost) that has nothing to do with chess. But the way I did it on Ebay was that I Bid on what I thought it was worth everytime I saw one. Eventually, I won one of the auctions. 

Another time, I was selling some art equipement on Ebay and some first time bidder just kept bidding at the last moment -as if he didn't want to lose. He eventually won the item but paid more than what it was worth. 

When he got it -he immediately claimed that it wasn't what he ordered and wanted his money back. I don't blame him but the cost to me for relisting was worth the negative review. (That guy was an a-hole).

I guess the moral of the story is that if I were bidding on an item -I would bid once on what I thought the item was worth to me. If I win, I win and if I don't  -then it was a price I was unwilling to pay.

Astrocloud
sftac wrote:

Ah, I see the vendor's here and already mentioned that.  

I really hate being called 'a vendor'. I'm just some schmuck who used to be obsessed with having books as in a collection. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I need money to pay some bills. I honestly don't want to sell these books (unlike a vendor).

If you were interested in books on Pawn Structure and Pawn Play -you will notice that I have several that I am getting rid of. The reason that I have multiple books on a similar subject (pawn play and pawn structure are different contexts) -is because I am a Chess Player. 

So please don't call me a vendor. I was a collector. This was my collection. It saddens me in some way to part with it.

Noreaster

If I recall correctly there was a good deal of flak between the author and the publisher over this book. I think the author did not recieve any monetary compensation for his writing of this book. It is THE book on IQP positions though......

b5squared

I still want the book, but $76 plus shipping was too rich for my blood.  :(

sftac

For sure ($92 total paid out before it's put in the mail). 

Have you tried your local public library (and its "inter-library" loan system)?

sftac

BryPin

I've never done a "free" download online but this site claims to have your book for free so here it is and I hope your virus protection is up to date.  Take a chance if you want. Let us know.

http://www.worldoffiles.net/link-f-a/alexander-baburin-winning-pawn-structures

sftac

If it's "too good to be true" .....

On a related note:  http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1314939-web-sites-that-give-free-downloads-of-ebooks

sftac

ps.  Yeah well, I'd not even use my own PC with that one.  I'd wait until I was visiting my local library and use one of its terminals to test out that link.

And, if there's copyright violation involved, your access of course is traceable and you may someday pay a high price (or jail time) for illicit copying of copyrighted materials.

Astrocloud

I am going to make a suggestion that someone else already suggested.

Get another book on the subject. Do you know how I got the original Baburin book? I bought it when nobody else really considered it. You could do the same... Perhaps you'd even get lucky and buy a book that becomes rare. Then you can sell it when you are down on your luck.