x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set

  • #2741
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #2742
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #2743
    MySeT wrote:
    [COMMENT DELETED]
    MySeT wrote:
    [COMMENT DELETED]


    ?

  • #2744
    Minarima wrote:
    MySeT wrote:
    [COMMENT DELETED]
    MySeT wrote:
    [COMMENT DELETED]


    ?

    Nothing important... i just misunderstood something about the link. happy.png

     

  • #2745
    MaximRecoil wrote:
    UpcountryRain wrote:

    If you must have exactly uniformed pieces, I'd say your best bet is plastic.

     

    There's no such thing as exactly uniform pieces; it isn't even possible short of Star Trek replicator style technology. However, most people want their pieces to at least appear uniform at a glance, and you get that from nearly all factory-made plastic and wooden sets.

     

    >Of course we like uniformity. What army is not uniformed? But an army is also made up of individuals. And I appreciate the individuality of my pieces.

     

    How do you appreciate it? By looking at them very closely and noting the ever so slight differences? By measuring them with calipers and noting differences of hundredths or thousandths of an inch? By weighing them on a jewelry scale and noting tenths or hundredths of a gram differences? If you have chess pieces with blatant/obvious dimensional differences among the like pieces, then you either have a mix-n-match set, a homemade set, or the manufacturer screwed up royally and hopefully you got them at a discount.

    My bad, MaximRecoil. I forgot that this was a Jacques of London thread. I am accustomed to Soviet sets and as we all know, in most cases they will be less exacting than the Jacques producers. Here, for example are a couple of Knights from the same set. At first glance they are similar, but it does not take a trained eye to spot the difference. These are the kinds of differences I appreciate.

    nullBut your point is taken. 

  • #2746

    It is possible to have exactly uniform components as has been the case in industry with interchangeable parts for at least a hundred years. Imagine the problems if you could not order a part for your car and expect it to fit.

    What is relevant to the Jaques discussion and Jaques clone sets is the level of accuracy possible with hand carving of the parts not easily made on a lathe. Rook castelations, bishops slots and of course knights.

    Repetitive carving of specialised parts allows for a very high level of accuracy at speed but of course when working with natural materials like boxwood, ebony and the similar substitutes used in modern clone sets the hardness and grain of the wood varies, tools become blunted as they pass through the cycle of use. Other factors of a human kind can interfere with smooth operation.

    I have seen many Jaques sets with minor blemishes which were left in from the manufacture, knots, cambium and so on. I have also seen sets marked JAQUES JAQUES instead of JAQUES LONDON which is rare but not unknown.

    As sets were often used in clubs where the pieces were just replaced in boxes or containers after games without concern to their parentage, it is my opinion that minor differences should not detract from the pleasure to be taken from using a set of great age.

  • #2747
    chessspy1 wrote:

    It is possible to have exactly uniform components as has been the case in industry with interchangeable parts for at least a hundred years. Imagine the problems if you could not order a part for your car and expect it to fit.

     

    This seems to be a reply to what I said, so I'll clarify. I said that there's no such thing as exactly uniform pieces (or exactly uniform parts of any sort); it isn't even possible short of Star Trek replicator style technology. The best you can do is have them made to tight tolerances, say, plus or minus 0.0001", which is more than uniform enough for nearly all purposes, including automotive parts interchangeability, but obviously it isn't exactly uniform. For the tightest / most accurate fit between parts, hand-fitting still can't be beaten by CNC, which is why something like a Holland & Holland double rifle (which is as much a work of art as it is a functional firearm) is still almost entirely hand-fitted.

  • #2748
    MaximRecoil wrote:

     

    This seems to be a reply to what I said, so I'll clarify. I said that there's no such thing as exactly uniform pieces (or exactly uniform parts of any sort); it isn't even possible short of Star Trek replicator style technology.


    Your repetition of this point is rather laboured and unnecessary, is it not?

  • #2749

    Oh wow this thread has degenerated.

  • #2750
    Minarima wrote:
    MaximRecoil wrote:

     

    This seems to be a reply to what I said, so I'll clarify. I said that there's no such thing as exactly uniform pieces (or exactly uniform parts of any sort); it isn't even possible short of Star Trek replicator style technology.


    Your repetition of this point is rather laboured and unnecessary, is it not?

     

    Someone argued against something I said, and I addressed their argument. As for "unnecessary", every single post on this entire forum is "unnecessary", especially your "I like to pretend that I'm a moderator" type posts.

  • #2751

    MaximRecoil wrote:

    Minarima wrote:
    MaximRecoil wrote:

     

    This seems to be a reply to what I said, so I'll clarify. I said that there's no such thing as exactly uniform pieces (or exactly uniform parts of any sort); it isn't even possible short of Star Trek replicator style technology.


    Your repetition of this point is rather laboured and unnecessary, is it not?

     

    Someone argued against something I said, and I addressed their argument. As for "unnecessary", every single post on this entire forum is "unnecessary", especially your "I like to pretend that I'm a moderator" type posts.

    maximrecoil go elsewhere ...troll with you other forum as you frequent do and use the exact same words members here type maximrecoil in Google and find he is just a plagiarism troll idiot
Top

Online Now