Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set

wiscmike

What you see for the white pieces on those sets I do believe is yellow boxwood with patina, it is not white boxwood with patina. It started out yellow. I think someone said yellow boxwood is available but expensive. I rather have while boxwood stained black for the black pieces to lessen wood cracking. 

greghunt
wiscmike wrote:

What you see for the white pieces on those sets I do believe is yellow boxwood with patina, it is not white boxwood with patina. It started out yellow. I think someone said yellow boxwood is available but expensive. I rather have while boxwood stained black for the black pieces to lessen wood cracking. 

Yellow box is an Australian eucalypt, which is not as far as I know used for chess pieces.  Box comes in different shades so it would be possible to find boxwood timber that is more or less yellow, but all of the boxwood that I have is fairly old (tool handles mostly) and all yellow to brown in colour.

wiscmike

I do believe they used yellow box back in the 1800's and early 1900/s and maybe later. Just saying the yellow you see in an old Jaques set is not patina or dirt as I call it.

greghunt

null

This veneer (not box) was originally a uniform cream colour, the darker patch along the left side is where the sheet was left sticking out of the pile for a couple of years.  Light and oxygen does that to many timbers.  https://www.wood-database.com/boxwood/

Now, if you want to clean the darker colouration off an old Jaques set, you could consider a nice durable polyurethane coating on it when you are finished.  That would be an appropriate finish for that kind of restoration.  

GenericUser52
Carl, the 3.5” knight looks great. When can you let us know more information about cost etc.? Also, will it be available in a non-antiqued finish?
GM4-U

Thank you 

Price will be £299.00 in boxwood and natural ebony 

GM4-U

We have also perfected the early 1849 jaques knight . This next batch will see the end of our quest in the 1849 reproduction, I believe we have raised the bar higher than any other company in this regard. The ultimate compliment is that ironically our reproductions are now being copied by other manufacturers/ wholesalers/ retail sites/ and drop shop kiddies! 

null

doyouacceptdraw

Do you sell the Collector series chess pieces?

doyouacceptdraw

Nevermind, I found the answer to my question.