Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set

Oldlefty
From Chessbazaar’s 1849 Jacques set.

lighthouse

http://www.fersht.com/chess/BCS_Ns1.jpg

And here some real ones !

gambiteer63

Here is an interesting early Jaques knight. Anyone an idea on style/date?

Chasbernie
I believe that is JAQUES, Staunton set #10, the set is in the British Museum in London. ( not on display at present )
I do have a link but seem unable to post it here.
Chasbernie
https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=1480833&partId=1
lighthouse
And here's the photo of the real one at britishmuseum
jcousins1

There are several examples of that knight (or very similar) that have popped up at auction in the last few years.  Sir Alan has Number 75 with similar knights.  They are always in ivory - there really is no Eb/Bx analog that I have ever seen apart from an early set I own.  

jcousins1

The photo is post number 3822 was superseded by Sir Alan's second book, which was published after a lot of the really old stuff started to show up and the images became available.  The earliest knight in photo 3822 isn't even a Jaques - I am told it was photoshopped off of a non-staunton set image.  

IpswichMatt
jcousins1 wrote:

There are several examples of that knight (or very similar) that have popped up at auction in the last few years.  Sir Alan has Number 75 with similar knights.  They are always in ivory - there really is no Eb/Bx analog that I have ever seen apart from an early set I own.  

Can you post some pics please?

youblundered_XD

👍

lighthouse
jcousins1 wrote:

The photo is post number 3822 was superseded by Sir Alan's second book, which was published after a lot of the really old stuff started to show up and the images became available.  The earliest knight in photo 3822 isn't even a Jaques - I am told it was photoshopped off of a non-staunton set image.  

This is the bible of Jaques !  can you show your source , Please

gambiteer63

Sorry for the delay in replying. Chasbernie is absolutely correct. In 2009 two chess collectors made an arrangement with the British Museum to visit and photograph Jaques chess set no. 10. This is the earliest Jaques set with an intact and fully legible label. It is a puzzle why images of these pieces have not found their way into publications earlier but the label has.

Chasbernie
gambiteer63.. you are right, one of those ppl is a friend from Glasgow, they got great images of the set, some experts think this could actually be the first JAQUES Staunton set, but that is debatable, it’s a fab set and should be on display.
jcousins1

Lighthouse: you need to pick up the second edition of Sir Alan's work - I would be very careful calling anything written about these "a bible" as Jaques original records are all gone (destroyed during the Blitz) and the best we can do is guess at a lot of things.

jcousins1

lighthouse:

Buy this, read it.  It is much more accurate than the first book, and has more photos too:

https://www.amazon.com/Jaques-British-Chess-Company-Sets-ebook/dp/B07JHLBNB6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550499334&sr=8-4&keywords=Alan+Fersht

IpswichMatt

I'm sure it's an 1849-50 Knight - but which one? Cook? It looks to be quite slim:

jcousins1

It looks like a later Cooke - as they "morphed" into the Morphy style of 1850.

lighthouse
jcousins1 wrote:

Lighthouse: you need to pick up the second edition of Sir Alan's work - I would be very careful calling anything written about these "a bible" as Jaques original records are all gone (destroyed during the Blitz) and the best we can do is guess at a lot of things.

Sure I meant it with a sense of humour , It's the only written source of reference in book form !

GM4-U
IpswichMatt wrote:

I'm sure it's an 1849-50 Knight - but which one? Cook? It looks to be quite slim:

It looks like an early 1849 "slim jim" knight from that angle 

TheSultan31003
lighthouse wrote:

And here some real ones !

Nice