Forums

scid help

Sort:
Immryr

i recently started using scid, mostly just to look into my openings for improvements etc. i do also use an engine with it and i was wondering if it was possible to suggest a move or line for the computer to look into? is the only way to see it's reaction by moving the pieces?

Scottrf

You can set up a position, or input an FEN.

If you have an FEN copied you can press Ctrl Shift V, or I think it's under EDIT: Set up position to move the pieces.

Then I think you press analysis or engine and turn the engine on.

Immryr

yeah i know how to do that, what i'm asking is when i have the engine analysing a position, say it's giving me 3 or 4 possible lines, is there anyway to point it in the direction of a different line to look down, or do you just have to make the move you want it to check and see what the new analysis is?

Scottrf

Oh, I'm not totally up on using it but that's what I'd do, not sure if there's a better way.

Would be nice to be able to get it to show you the top few moves rather than just 1 as well, I'm sure there's a way but I don't know that either.

Immryr

there is a way to do that. at the bottom of the analysis window there is an up and down arrow with the number one in a box, click the up arrow to increase the number of first moves it shows evaluation for.

ictavera

What's the problem with just playing the move you want to analyse?

Immryr

dunno l0l