Forums

Sets Being used in Sinquefield Cup

Sort:
Blitzt

Does anyone know what sets are being used in the current Sinquefield Cup?  It look like an Andeluisan set, but then again not quite.  Thanks.

FrankHelwig

These pieces were specially designed for this event by Frank Camaratta on behalf of HoS - the Sinquefield set. I believe only 22 sets were made, but there's a possibility that HoS might eventually sell them...

Blitzt

Thanks Frank.  I was wondering if they were HOS pieces.  Looking at the HOS website, they look very similar to the Imperial Collector sets.

Bronco

It's a HOS Imperial Collecter with DGT and weighted. Here is a link about it.

http://www.uschesschamps.com/opening-festivities-kick-sinquefield-cup

Kansha

Wow bronco, you know it all, doncha ;)

Bronco

HA! I just have a thing for chess sets. Someday I might even buy a nice set 

9kick9
FrankHelwig wrote:I hpe so but, with Camearatta being retired I don't its going to happen.

These pieces were specially designed for this event by Frank Camaratta on behalf of HoS - the Sinquefield set. I believe only 22 sets were made, but there's a possibility that HoS might eventually sell them...

Blitzt

Well, that settles it then.  Thanks Bronco for the link.

Kansha

:P

FrankHelwig

Looks like a Limited Edition of this set (not DGT-enabled) is now available for Preorder on the HoS site...

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/2013-sinquefield-cup-commemorative-chess-set.html?src=slide

9kick9

Frank... for the price which I could never afford in the first place. I would go with a Chavet set or a Dobrovnik set. These are less expensive & a lot better looking sets IMHO.

goldendog

If your aesthetic is informed by the great old Jaques sets, you'll probably prefer the hos offering.

Frankovich73

It's painfully ironic that they made Gata pose boxing style...

FrankHelwig

I think the set is overpriced. For that kind of money, you can get a really nice pre-1900 Jaques...

9kick9

Thats my point.. I think the price is outrageous ! Beter pieces can be had for far less money IMO.

goldendog

I can't see paying that much for a modern set in anything but exceptional materials.

Better to pick out a historic Jaques in nice condition, in my eyes.

Bronco

That's a lot of bones for a set even with the autographs.

strngdrvnthng

I agree for $1300 you can still get a 19th C Jaques set in good condition.