Forums

The ChessStore.com?

Sort:
Somebodysson

yes, I've read this from quite a few posters, having to pay return shipping for product that was defective. That's not cool at all.  chessstore has its fans however, people who are very satisfied with them. Baddogno had a very weird and uncool experience with them. He posted a question on ebay asking them about square size or something like that, and they banned him from bidding on their merchandise. I might be remembering it slightly wrong, but you can message baddogno for the details. 

akafett

I have a ProTourney set from thechessstore.com. My only complaint is that the vinyl board has ink smudges where it was  not handled properly during manufacturing. Now the board alone is only about $4. I can live with a little smudging on this board beacause it is my "take to the coffee shop" board. And I expect it to get a little beat up. But, I do want a better tourney board. One with no flaws. And I don't think I'll be getting from thechessstore.com.

COrcutt

UPDATE:

This post is regarding my earlier post about The Chess Store (thechessstore.com). To their credit, when I contacted them about returning the Conqueror plastic chess set—explaining that it came scuffed, scratched and dirty—they volunteered to send me a pre-paid UPS return label. I received the label and took the box to a UPS drop-off center.

They offered to do an exchange, but I explained that I didn't feel like receiving potentially shoddy goods a second time, and then having to go through the return process *a second time*.

No, from now on I plan to take my own advice, which is to find a retail store (or two), go to that store, and buy directly from them.

Question: Does anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.chessusa.com/

Their main storefront, as I understand it, is on Long Island, NY. I live in Upstate New York, but if other players' experiences with them have been positive, I just might take a day off and buy my equipment from them in person.

Somebodysson
COrcutt wrote:

Question: Does anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.chessusa.com/

Their main storefront, as I understand it, is on Long Island, NY. I live in Upstate New York, but if other players' experiences with them have been positive, I just might take a day off and buy my equipment from them in person.

yes, FirebrandX recently puchased an AWESOME board from them, and was very happy with everything about them. They were very helpful. Look at FirebrandX's thread about his set and the great story about the board he bought from those guys on Long Island. 

Somebodysson

here's the link to firebrandX's post. Its a great story, and he's a great player. 

http://www.chess.com/blog/FirebrandX/choosing-an-heirloom-chess-set

COrcutt

Hey, thanks, Somebodysson! I appreciate the tip!

netzach

This chess set: (post#1)

The white bishops have black knobs on their heads is that correct? 

Rsava
netzach wrote:

This chess set. (post#1)

Yes it is the style. White Bishps have a black topper, blac Bishops have a white topper.

netzach

Very nice.

Somebodysson
netzach wrote:

This chess set. (post#1)

yes netzach, its a well known design, goes by different names, Yugoslav, Zagreb, all kinds of names. 

netzach

Kind of 'mix'n match' design then?

Beautiful.

Somebodysson
netzach wrote:

Kind of 'mix'n match' design then?

Beautiful.

lots of pics of Bobby Fischer playing with that design. 

netzach

Did he not go crazy/nuts eventually?

guardianx9

Ugh jus brought the woodden pieces lol..