19693 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
Rashid Ziyatdinov, GM-RAM: Essential Grandmaster Knowledge (2000), or the privately published 1997 edition.
I wrote this review four years ago: http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2010/02/gm-ram-essential-knowledge.html
Recently I've been returning to this book with stronger resolve. Clicking on the tag "Ziyatdinov" at the bottom of the link will connect to other posts concerning this book.
My System Aron Nimzowitsch ,My 60 memorable gamesby Fisher, Midle Games by Dr Laszlo Polgar ,Tal's Winning chess combination,Play like Grand Master Alexander Kotov, EndGame Manual by Mark Dvoretsky
All you'll ever need: (In no particular order)1. Chess Opening Repertiore for Black Explained2. A strategic chess opening repertiore for white3. Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master (Silman)4. How to Reassess your Chess (Silman)5. Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy (Watson)and download chess tactics app
"Chess Opening Rep for black explained" is not the worse book those authors have produced, the equilvalent for white is really terrible, but there are better books covering similar ground. For example Eingorn's "A solid rep for black".
In no particular order...
Chess Praxis - Nimzo
My System - Nimzo
Soviet School of Chess - Kotov
Alexander Alekhine - Kotov
Soviet Chess 1917-1991 - Soltis
Games of Tigran Petrosian (vol. 1 and 2) - Compiled by Shekhtman
One Hundred Selected Games - Botvinnik
Carlsbad 1929 - Nimzo
Hypermodern Strategy - Van Reek
Petrosian's Legacy - Misc. (mostly articles by Petrosian collected from various sources)
There is a new book from quality chess on Petrosian's games "Python strategy" which is a translation of one of Petrosian's famous russian books apparantly. Hven't got it myself yet.
Sounds like a great read, thanks for the recommendation
Depends on where you're at in terms of progress.
My current top 10 would be:
- Silman's new endgame book.
- Silman's Reassess your chess.
- Pawn Power - Kmoch
- Chess for Tigers - Simon Webb
- Amateur's Mind - Silman
- Simple Chess - Michael Stean
- Complete Chess Strategy (Vols 1,2,3, not the condensed one!) - Pachman
- Mammoth book of World's Greatest Games
- Build up your chess Series - Arthur Yusupov
- Elements of Positional Evaluation - Heisman
Modern chess Strategy is a completely different book.Is not it?Have you read it?
Have got hold of Python strategy now. My first impressions is that it is using the same source material as the red and blue hardbacks of Petrosian's games and annotating a few more of the games in words, rather than informator style. The analysis is fairly lightweight especially compared to Kasparov's variation heavy books.
Top 10 for myself No particular order:
1. Weapons of Chess - Pandolfinni
2. MCO 15 - Firmian
3. Alekhine's best games 1908-1937 - Alekhine
4. The Art of the Middlegame - Keres & Kotov
5. My 60 Memorable Games - Fischer
6. Reassess your Chess- Silman
7. Silman's Endgame Course
8. Judgement & Planning in Chess - Euwe (Descriptive Notation, but Great read)
9. Secrets of the Russian Chessmasters V2 - Alburt & Parr
10. 10 most common chess mistakes - Evans
Other great books I've read that aren't instructional related.
1. Book of Chess Lists - Andrew Soltis (Great book! I found out Edward Lasker invented the mechanical breast pump from this book XD)
2. Endgame (Bobby Fischer) - Frank Brady
3. Bobby Fischer goes to war - Edmonds & Eidinow
4. Russians Versus Fischer (Not only are their annotated games of Fischer against Soviet players, but also written conversations between soviet players regarding Fischer. Apparently Karpov & Fischer were in talks of a match after 1975, cause Karpov wanted to challenge the best)
5. Searching for Bobby Fischer - Fred Waitzkin
Isn't Simple Chess on the internet somewhere?
The ultimate list:
1. My Great Predecessors - Garry Kasparov 2. The Sorcerer’s Apprentice - David Bronstein 3. Larsen's Selected Games of Chess, 1948-69 - Bent Larsen 4. My 60 Memorable Games - Bobby Fischer 5. One Hundred Selected Games - Mikhail Botvinnik 6. My Best Games - Victor Korchnoi 7. New York 1924 - Alexander Alekhine 8. Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953 - David Bronstein 9. Fundamental Chess Endings - Karsten Muller, Frank Lamprecht 10. Domination in 2,545 Endgame Studies - Ghenrikh M. Kasparyan
There are a lot of good books and 10 list is too short. But anyway, here is my list.
1. Idiot's Guide to Chess- Novice
2. Chess Tactics for Champion- Novice
3. Chess Secrets Giants of Strategy- Above Novice
4. Winning Chess Strategy- Above Novice
5. Logical Chess Move by Move
6.101 Chess Endgame Tips
7. Fundamental Chess Endings
8. Improve Your Chess Pattern Recognition
9. Winning Chess Strategy
10. Invisible Chess Move
Read Winning chess Strategy twice?
In no particular order (except for the first book):
can you please be so kind and elaborate on the Sokolsky book?
why is it so good?
who is the intended reader of this book?
up to what rating level (roughly) would you recommend it?
Thank for your imformation .
2/11/2016 - Casas-Piazzini, Buenos Aires 1952
by usernametytyty a few minutes ago
Will computers ever solve chess?
by Fiveofswords 4 minutes ago
Funny opening 3.Qxf7+
by Facebook 4 minutes ago
tournament in my school
by et_et123 5 minutes ago
Nicest Chess Bags
by Milliern 5 minutes ago
Determination of default moves in a given opening
by sibi_90 6 minutes ago
Millionaire Chess 2!!
by 0ktagon 6 minutes ago
Detecting OTB sandbagging?
by Fiveofswords 9 minutes ago
by thegreat_patzer 11 minutes ago
Sam Sloan for Democratic Nominee for President
by richie_and_oprah 12 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2016 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!