Forums

Which book is this?

Sort:
chessplayer11

I remember a chess tutorial book that had an opening story that described some famous chess player in the early 1900, (maybe lasker?), someone who was poor, and a rich guy offered him money to make some of his opening moves that would lead to the rich guy getting his queen early in the game. This way he could say he beat a great chess player, but he still lost anyway. The moral of the story being to never give up.

Does anyone know which book that was?

Crazychessplaya

The Prince and the Pauper?

chessplayer11

no

chessplayer11

bueller?

Dram-Of-Eale

I too have come across that story several years ago. If I can remember and look it up I will send a line. Initially I am thinking of Morphy.

chessplayer11

Well, I'm more interested in the book than the story. But the story may help me find the book. I just remember it being usefully instructive to me from what bits I did read... I think.

chessplayer11

I don't think it was Morphy. He was rich.

rigamagician

Are you talking about Isaac Rice?

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/rice.html

chessplayer11

Found it

It's "Modern Chess Opening Traps" by William Lombardy IGM ©1972

Page 5 A Trap Does Not Finish The Game

During the depression, when a dollar was a dollar, an enthusiastic patron of the game approached noted international master and author I.A. Horowitz in the Manhattan Chess Club and challenged him to a game at the fabulous stakes of three dollars. But there was one condition. If the amateur should be unhappy with the master's reply to a move, the amateur could pay a quarter and suggest another move, which the master would then make—mate in one notwithstanding! I.A., furtively rubbing his hands together, reluctantly accepted the deal! And so, to arms!

1. P-K4! "Why not play 1. P-Q4?" "The wily patron has something up his sleeve," thought I.A., pocketing his first quarter. And so 1. P-Q4. The game proceeded 1. ... N-KB3 2. P-QB4! "May I suggest 2. N-Q2(!)?" "Yes, of course," replied I.A., the second quarter in hand. Thus: 2. N-Q2 P-K4 3. P-K3. A third quarter changed hands, White's last move was retracted and there followed: 3. PxP N-N5 4. KN-B3. "Don't you think you ought to chase the knight instead?" cajoled our patron. "Well," reasoned I.A., "what can I lose? Even odds, I should win anyway!" With the fourth quarter tucked, I.A., like a lamb led to the slaughter, essayed: 4. P-KR3 (?)!

After this, Black gave no quarter: 4. ... N-K6 (!). If 5. PxN Q-R5+ 6. P-N3 QxP mate! "Even the world's champion would resign here," contributed our patron, his face flushed with anticipated victory. With a touch of the master's condescendence, I.A. intoned, "You can't win by resigning!" The game continued: 5. KN-B3 NxQ 6. KxN and White won a long ending! After all, wasn't he the professional!

Just one word of advice. An opponent may fall into a trap, but, unless mate is administered, he won't surrender so easily. A player must be alert enough to press home the advantage on his own! Now for the traps!