Forums

Which Dubrovnik Set do you like betterChessBazaar or House of Staunton?

Sort:
zagryan

Between CB and HOS, I prefer the HOS' The Fischer Dubrovnik Series Chess Pieces with 3.625" King.

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-fischer-dubrovnik-series-chess-pieces-3625-king.html

They're always sold out with the brown Anjan model (pictured above). Having said that, I'm sure both CB and HOS Dubrovnik handles well during play.

loubalch
PolarChess wrote:
zagryan wrote:

Between CB and HOS, I prefer the HOS' The Fischer Dubrovnik Series Chess Pieces with 3.625" King.

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-fischer-dubrovnik-series-chess-pieces-3625-king.html

They're always sold out with the brown Anjan model (pictured above). Having said that, I'm sure both CB and HOS Dubrovnik handles well during play.

I have used the HOS set for a few years and it handles fine.  When it arrived some of the pieces had to be returned as they were not in good shape.  HOS actually argued with me on that.  It is sad that HOS allows garbage sets to leave their warehouse with no inspection!  It is bad business.

PC

I agree, I've had similar issues with a few HoS sets. If there's a problem, their attitude seems to be, "prove it!" Which makes no sense. Why would I send a piece back if it wasn't damaged? I had to build a case for every piece I had to return.

MCH818

@PolarChess and @Loubalch I know what you both mean. Almost every set I received from HoS has some kind of issue. For example, dings, chips, burnt plastic, black smudges, white residue which I assume was glue, and probably a few issues I forgot about. I always ask "Why did you send me this?" However, my experience with customer services has been really positive. Snap a few photos with circles around the problem areas and customer service always send replacements. I think the only pieces I've had to send back first were ebony pieces from the Fischer-Spassky Commemorative set. They sent all others without exchange. They also pay for shipping back to them. 

loubalch

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing HoS, all the issues I had were resolved to my satisfaction. I've owned about 5-6 HoS sets over the years, but have just one left in my collection of about 18 sets, the nearly indestructible Mechanics Institute set.

With a slight modification.

MCH818

@Loubalch I don't think you sounded like you were bashing them. I thought you accurately described the situation with HoS. They do send pieces that have issues and they do ask for documentation. I think I never had an issue because I always sent photos and an explanation before they asked for it. 

That's a nice change to the knights. It is like the glass-eye Lardy knights.

loubalch
MCH818 wrote:

@Loubalch I don't think you sounded like you were bashing them. I thought you accurately described the situation with HoS. They do send pieces that have issues and they do ask for documentation. I think I never had an issue because I always sent photos and an explanation before they asked for it. 

Thought I'd give 'em a little personality, jazz things up a bit. If I start to space out in the middle of a game I know the knights will keep an eye on the board for me!

MCH818
loubalch wrote:
MCH818 wrote:

Thought I'd give 'em a little personality, jazz things up a bit. If I start to space out in the middle of a game I know the knights will keep an eye on the board for me!

Haha!