Who won the FIDE Chess Clock Contract Bidding?

Mohan_Kumar_Chess

Its said in the FIDE website that the results will be announced on 23rd September. But its been two weeks and nothing still. Do any one of you knew which won each of the 3 categories? 
1) “FIDE Championship Clock”
2) “Official FIDE Chess Clock”
3) “Chess Clock Recommended by FIDE for National Federations”.

Martin_Stahl
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:

Its said in the FIDE website that the results will be announced on 23rd September. But its been two weeks and nothing still. Do any one of you knew which won each of the 3 categories? 
1) “FIDE Championship Clock”
2) “Official FIDE Chess Clock”
3) “Chess Clock Recommended by FIDE for National Federations”.

 

From the release:

  • The winners have been determined, conditional on the manufacturers' signing binding contracts with FIDE. 

https://www.fide.com/news/113

 

So contracts probably haven't been signed.

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
Martin_Stahl wrote:
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:

Its said in the FIDE website that the results will be announced on 23rd September. But its been two weeks and nothing still. Do any one of you knew which won each of the 3 categories? 
1) “FIDE Championship Clock”
2) “Official FIDE Chess Clock”
3) “Chess Clock Recommended by FIDE for National Federations”.

 

From the release:

  • The winners have been determined, conditional on the manufacturers' signing binding contracts with FIDE. 

https://www.fide.com/news/113

 

So contracts probably haven't been signed.

The contract is signed on 30th September and the contract came into force on 1 October, 2019.
https://old.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2019/FIDE_News/20190805-FIDE-Bidding_procedure-ChessClocks.pdf 
Its just they are lazy to write an article. FIDE have employed people who doesn't work to maintain their website. 

KineticPawn

Doesnt the clock have to be a DGT  in order to work with the DGT boards? Isn't the Board and clock synchronized and therefore able to broadcast moves and times like we see on chess24?

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
KineticPawn wrote:

Doesnt the clock have to be a DGT  in order to work with the DGT boards? Isn't the Board and clock synchronized and therefore able to broadcast moves and times like we see on chess24?

No, thats not a problem. The boards just send the moves made. The software of the clock can be coded in such a way to receive moves from any electronic boards. Apart from DGT there are many such electronic boards in the market.

Martin_Stahl
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:
Martin_Stahl wrote:
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:

Its said in the FIDE website that the results will be announced on 23rd September. But its been two weeks and nothing still. Do any one of you knew which won each of the 3 categories? 
1) “FIDE Championship Clock”
2) “Official FIDE Chess Clock”
3) “Chess Clock Recommended by FIDE for National Federations”.

 

From the release:

  • The winners have been determined, conditional on the manufacturers' signing binding contracts with FIDE. 

https://www.fide.com/news/113

 

So contracts probably haven't been signed.

The contract is signed on 30th September and the contract came into force on 1 October, 2019.
https://old.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2019/FIDE_News/20190805-FIDE-Bidding_procedure-ChessClocks.pdf 
Its just they are lazy to write an article. FIDE have employed people who doesn't work to maintain their website. 

 

That is the deadline, it doesn't necessarily mean it was met. Though, it may just be that FIDE just hasn't released the details.

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
Martin_Stahl wrote:

That is the deadline, it doesn't necessarily mean it was met. Though, it may just be that FIDE just hasn't released the details.

Yes, thats the point. Why didn't they released the details?
The understanding between DGT and FIDE to date. Just WOW. What an ugly politics!!!

EscherehcsE
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:
Martin_Stahl wrote:

That is the deadline, it doesn't necessarily mean it was met. Though, it may just be that FIDE just hasn't released the details.

Yes, thats the point. Why didn't they released the details?
The understanding between DGT and FIDE to date. Just WOW. What an ugly politics!!!

It sounds like you're actually expecting competence and transparency. This IS FIDE, right?

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
EscherehcsE wrote:
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:
Martin_Stahl wrote:

That is the deadline, it doesn't necessarily mean it was met. Though, it may just be that FIDE just hasn't released the details.

Yes, thats the point. Why didn't they released the details?
The understanding between DGT and FIDE to date. Just WOW. What an ugly politics!!!

It sounds like you're actually expecting competence and transparency. This IS FIDE, right?

Actually they act to be transparent. But, for now I can't accuse them. FIDE approved Chess Clocks. There are few of them now. But I doubt whether other good clocks like Chronos, VTek doesn't apply for approval or they can't pay what FIDE expects or does DGT pay them handy? The build quality of DGT is awful.I am aware that they are easy to set up. Still wondering, is it all they can do? 
With current technology, can't they even display the number of moves alongside the time?

chessroboto
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:


With current technology, can't they even display the number of moves alongside the time?

Vtek 300 does that.

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
chessroboto wrote:
Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:


With current technology, can't they even display the number of moves alongside the time?

Vtek 300 does that.

Yeah, thats what I was talking about. DGT can't even do this? I think Chronos and VTEK are better than DGT 3000. The only thing they must improve is add few more buttons and make it to setup easy. On the other way around, If DGT could built a sturdy clock (can increase price a bit), then it would be perfect.

jjupiter6

chessroboto wrote:

Mohan_Kumar_Chess wrote:


With current technology, can't they even display the number of moves alongside the time?

Vtek 300 does that.

The problem is the availability of the Vtek. I looked on their site last night - all their models were sold out bar one with a fake woodgrain case.

chessroboto

I was hoping that the VTek would have established traction in the tournament and club scenes by now especially since it is a vast improvement to any Chronos electronic clock prior to the DGT 3000's widescreen upgrade. Have you tried reading the text on the DGT 3000? Occasionally I almost thought that it was NOT in English.

TundraMike

DGT will be hard to knock off since it is the "official" FIDE chess clock and has the interface for the DGT boards. 

Yes, I think the VTEK300 is better than all the rest, if it was just $120.00 they would sell twice as many.  The manufacturer has to lower its price to Shelby as far as I can see. They have to take less of a cut and sell twice as many units.  The reason you don't see it on sale it is because there is no margin left for the retailer believe it or not.  

Shelby if you read this and I am wrong please tell me, but that is what I can see being an old guy who knows his way around wholesale/retail/manufacturers selling direct etc. etc. 

PolarChess

I presume this bidding scheme does not mean that FIDE has selected the best chess clock available.  Only the chess clock that fits their specified criteria best.  Am I correct.

On a side note, what do you consider to be the best digital chess clock on the market now?

Thank you,

PC

Mohan_Kumar_Chess
PolarChess wrote:

I presume this bidding scheme does not mean that FIDE has selected the best chess clock available.  Only the chess clock that fits their specified criteria best.  Am I correct.

On a side note, what do you consider to be the best digital chess clock on the market now?

Thank you,

PC

The best Chess Clock is DGT3000. But has poor build quality. If it is built by solid metal like Chronos, then nothing will stand against it.

liml
PolarChess wrote:

I presume this bidding scheme does not mean that FIDE has selected the best chess clock available.  Only the chess clock that fits their specified criteria best.  Am I correct.

On a side note, what do you consider to be the best digital chess clock on the market now?

Thank you,

PC

VTEK300 is the best hands down. 

TundraMike

The best out there is VTEK300, also the most expensive. If they could have a price breakthrough of even $125 they would double their business in my opinion.

PolarChess

If I was going to manufacture a chess clock I would use two small colour cell phone screens sideways in an aluminum box.  You program some nice features into the software and use better graphics.  Any opinions on my eye-dea?

Mohan_Kumar_Chess

With the amount of technology and advancement and how cheap electronics are, does DGT Pi even worth the price. I am damn sure that its price shouldn't be even that of DGT3000. Almost all of the DGT products are overpriced. They have almost monopolised the Electronic Chess Market, thus people have less choice. For $285, we can build a decent PC or buy a 4K LED TV. In what way that 4K LED TV is less than this DGT Pi? Hardware? Software?