Forums

Wird and Rare Chess set

Sort:
WayneT

The dogs versus cats are sensational, and as a bird watcher, I love the bird ones. Sensational.

Knightvanguard

To play chess with such a beautiful set would add so much more to the game for me. I truly enjoy playing with different sets.

Knightvanguard

To play chess with such a beautiful set would add so much more to the game for me. I truly enjoy playing with different sets.

Aletool

Here we go again with same more I found. I wish yo have some of them too.

Aletool

I wondering if there are some extra pawns inside the little doll just in case  i lose a few.

Aletool

Bring all your army

Aletool

flowers and plants chess

MatchStickKing

I saw this once on show at Nottingham Castle in the UK.

Aletool

Very Nice!

AndyClifton

That plant thing was a hoot!

Bartolov
AndyClifton wrote:

That plant thing was a hoot!

I hope is not a carnivorous plant You can't make a move ,they bait your finger if you touch it

Aletool

Very nice set! Assoluto

tmkroll
johnyoudell wrote:

Portuguese

This is an antique "Spanish Pulpit" chess set, once believed to be from Spain the origin of these sets is still fairly mysterious as far as I know. I think the current theory is they're from England. I don't think there's any compelling reason to think they come from Portugal. The attribution from Hammond and Pfeiffer at the Met is the only thing I've ever read that says Portugal and the other Puplit set in that collection is attributed by the same collector to Spain ( http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/201466 ) which we already know is not right.

TetsuoShima
Assoluto wrote:

that is one cool chess set. if only the bishops wouldnt make the piece sign if i see it correctly. what is it called?

Phylar
This picture has Morgan Freeman (you may also know him as GOD) playing chess. All other arguments are hence invalid.
Btw, the chess set is pretty cool too
strngdrvnthng

TetsuoShima wrote:

Assoluto wrote:

that is one cool chess set. if only the bishops wouldnt make the piece sign if i see it correctly. what is it called?

The peace sign would be incorrect, it is a blessing adopted from the Romans. If you look at some of the statues of Julius and Augustus Caesar you will observe similar hand gestures. The set is, I believe, the model from which the set in Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone was adapted.

TetsuoShima
strngdrvnthng wrote:

TetsuoShima wrote:

Assoluto wrote:

The peace sign would be incorrect, it is a blessing adopted from the Romans. If you look at some of the statues of Julius and Augustus Caesar you will observe similar hand gestures. The set is, I believe, the model from which the set in Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone was adapted.

oh god harry potter..

anyway thanks for the knowledge, pretty embaressing that i didnt know that.

ClavierCavalier

Perhaps God can easily tell those pieces apart, but we mortals can't.

Springerrr

Not so hard. The patterns cut into the pieces along, of course, with their height. I just wouldn't play blitz with that set is all.

glmino

Hello Folks,

I'm new here, and just stumbled upon this topic...

I have a set that fits this ( Very Interesting ) topic, but I have no idea of the maker.

Where can this be posted to get identified? Thanks much,

Glenn