Forums

Chess Mentor Rating

Sort:
DrFrank124c

I have noticed that my Chess Mentor rating is 300 points higher than my Online or Live ratings. I have checked other peoples home pages and saw that their Chess Mentor ratings are at about the same as their Live and Online ratings. Does this mean anything or is it just a fluke?

Scottrf

Mine is far too high and it seems more rewarding than it used to be, I increase mine almost every time I use it.

GM__Sanand

That shows your impovement.

Scottrf

I don't think so, it just shows that it's too rewarding IMO.

I can quite often get a rating increase after passing on my second attempt or taking hints.

JFK-Ramsey

I think my Mentor rating is also too high. This is one (of several) reasons I don't use the Adaptive mode. The high rating sends me to lessons that are beyond my level of understanding and knowledge level. I try to work through them but many times, they assume knowledge covered in lower rated courses/lessons that I hadn't been through. I've gone to the Sequential mode. It seems to do the job but I haven't been able to figure out the rationale for the order the courses are in when sorted under the Sequential mode. For example: Course "Roots of Positional Understanding" is rated 2067 but it appears between a course rated 1464 and one rated 1679.

It could be argued that if I come to a lesson beyond my ability, it will lower my rating til I get to an appropriate level but I don't learn anything trying to do a lesson that assumes things I haven't learned and the focus of the lesson is something else entirely. I've mentioned this to Chess.com a while back but never got a response.

GM__Sanand

I could easily understand the lessons of 2024 ratings easily. Just concentrate and then you would be able to understand it. Focus is the main key here.

JFK-Ramsey
gm_Sanand wrote:

I could easily understand the lessons of 2024 ratings easily. Just concentrate and then you would be able to understand it. Focus is the main key here.

My point wasn't that I couldn't understand that particular course. My point was that I don't understand the rationale behind the order of the Courses when in the Sequential mode. The 2024 course was just an example of how they seem to jump around. I can't seem to get anyone to explain the reasoning behind the order  Sequential within Mentor. If it simply progressive learning, great, but the placing of the 2024 rated course has made me suspicious.

Thanks.

Scottrf

Sequential plays through all the lessons within a particular topic in order I believe, so they are not necessarily arranged by difficulty.

JFK-Ramsey
Scottrf wrote:

Sequential plays through all the lessons within a particular topic in order I believe, so they are not necessarily arranged by difficulty.

If you go to "review courses" under Chess Mentor and click on the sequential mode for viewing, the results are not grouped by any topic. The order doen't seem to follow any logic that I can tell. This is the same order that Mentor follows when you chose the Sequential learning mode. Wish I could get someone from the staff to comment on this.

Thanks.

Scottrf

My sequential training definitely works through a given topic. Perhaps try going to view courses, play the first lesson and then quit out and go to sequential.

JFK-Ramsey
Scottrf wrote:

My sequential training definitely works through a given topic. Perhaps try going to view courses, play the first lesson and then quit out and go to sequential.

When you say "topic" do you mean "course"? When I finished the last lesson in the course "Step Up Tactics", Mentor took me to the first lesson in the next Course, "Endings, Openings and a Taste, etc" just as it is supposed to but I don't see these as being part of the same topic. The topics for the next few courses are mscl, tactics,endgame, then tactics again. They do jump from topic to topic which is fine but again, my original question (for anyone out there), what is the rationale for the order of the Mentor Courses under the Sequential mode?

Thanks.

Scottrf

Ah, I get you now, no idea! But I don't see it as a big problem, just manually change course when you get to the end of the one you were doing.

JFK-Ramsey
Scottrf wrote:

Ah, I get you now, no idea! But I don't see it as a big problem, just manually change course when you get to the end of the one you were doing.

Change to what? I want to follow the Sequential sequence and Mentor does follow it automatically when in the Sequential learning mode. Again, there is no problem with this. I only want to make sure that by doing this, the basis for each new course has been covered in the prior lessons/courses. It would make sense that it is set up so that this is so, but seeing a 2067 rated course appearing early between a 1464 rated course and a 1679 rated course has made me suspicious.

This isn't a big deal and since no member seems to know the rationale to the sequence of Sequential and the Staff hasn't answered I guess I'll just move along.

Thanks for your input.

kroverstreet

I find myself to be far inferior to my chess mentor rating!