Forums

Has Chess Mentor Improved Your Game?

Sort:
baddogno
PaHiker wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:
Well, then you can post your games in the Game analysis forum, and you'll probably get some interesting feedback.

Is there something here to explain how to do that?

Do you capture the entire game, or just sections?

This should help:

See: http://www.chess.com/article/view/how-to-use-the-chesscom-diagr

PaHiker
baddogno wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstand "sequentially", my assumption is that it starts at a beginner's level, then proceeds "sequentially", like a college textbook, through the lessons. No?

Actually PaHiker, no.  It's a holdover from the original unupdated course and works on some other "logic" entirely.  To see what I mean go to chessmentor and click on "view courses".  Now that little box that says "newest first" has an arrow button?  Press that, choose sequential, and try and figure out the "logic".  As I said it's nonsense.  Just pick courses you're interested in and do it that way.  With the list on "newest first" try some on the first or second page.  I predict you'll be a much happier camper.

8 minutes ago · Quote · #60

Just tried this. I went into Lessons then selected Rating Lowest and then selected the first open lesson. When I completed it the next lesson wasn't the next one that Rating Lowest showed. I had to keep going back to the list and find the next open lesson. CM doesn't seem to track based on Rating.

baddogno

Also don't forget that the rating estimation for each course is just that, an estimation.  It's not like there is scientific method involved, the author figures out what he thinks the level for each lesson should be and submits it.  Yes, I'm sure the lessons undergo some review before being released and there may be some "negotiation" about what level to assign each lesson but it's just an educated guess.  Pick what looks interesting to you and study it; come back in a week or two and see how much of it "stuck". Rinse and repeat.  You'll get better, maybe not as fast as you had hoped Embarassed , but enough to make the process worthwhile.