Forums

---

Sort:
dr_dre
[COMMENT DELETED]
Mainline_Novelty

thats weird.

townesquare

Probably because the tactics trainer has quicker time limits to solve the puzzles, usually somewhere around a minute. With chess mentor you can take much more time doing the various lessons. You naturally will not be as acurate with less time to calculate, thus not scoring as well. Plus you might not be doing too many of the more difficult chess mentor courses. Some of the courses for beginners are rather simple. Others, like the roots of positional understanding course, can be extremely difficult.

Patzer24

Yes, the Chess Mentor ratings and Tactics Trainer ratings are not comparable. They are both independent and should not be compared to each other.

dr_dre
[COMMENT DELETED]
dr_dre
[COMMENT DELETED]
nqi

My chess mentor and tactics trainer ratings are both higher than my actual oneFrown. Can I play people in chess mentor? 

cowsreallymoo

nope

donngerard

chess mentor has hints and has a long time given

sleeper2175

Tactics trainer is a useful tool but rating can vary alot.  On a good day, I get on a roll and go to 1850 and then lose 500 pts in a half hour!  Seems like after 5000+ problems my rating would stabilize somewhat! 

dr_dre
[COMMENT DELETED]
WyoKid

My Chess Mentor Rating is also significantly higher than Either my Online rating or Tactics Trainer.  As mentioned above the Chess Mentor rating is a totally different critter, but it is one of the best teaching tools out there.

rabbit100id

Chess Mentor is a great study tool.  It has defintely helped me to get better, which is my real goal.  I have to admit that I don't really measure myself by how well I do on the site, even though I'm improving, I measure myself by how well I play when I'm sitting across from someone in person.  I have become a lot stronger and am beating people who before wouldn't even play me regularly (the snobs, lol).  I will agree that the on site rating thing is frustrating, though.

alex_walsh

you are probably selecting the courses in chess mentor, whereas tactics trainer decides. In you selection, you probably choose lower rated lessons. If this isn't the case, then I would assume that you have difficulty with the time constraint of tactics trainer. My score is higher on mentor, but only by about 100 points- 1800 tt vs 1960 cm

dr_dre
dextorous_demon wrote:

you are probably selecting the courses in chess mentor, whereas tactics trainer decides. In you selection, you probably choose lower rated lessons. If this isn't the case, then I would assume that you have difficulty with the time constraint of tactics trainer. My score is higher on mentor, but only by about 100 points- 1800 tt vs 1960 cm

hi demon, no i dont select courses on mentor. Both my CM and TT are set to adaptive. I am now at the point that i do not worry about TT rating anymore. I hide the time bar, and just try to solve as much puzzels as possible (right now 70% pass rate). I believe speed is key in this rating, and since i am just starting, I suppose it is better to be patient and take some more time.  Anyways, TT and CM are great learning tools to my opinion!!  

Patzer24

Yes, I agree. If you are just starting out and your goal is improving you should forget about the Tactics Trainer rating and try the problems untimed and take your time to solve and fully understand the problems.

hazeleyes

I dont know about the chess mentor being useless in the openings.It has taught me why the pieces go where they go and,this is a major part of the opening's.Learning why the pieces go there can have a wonderful effect on improving your game.

As Patzer24 said try to work on fully understanding the problem b4 you try to solve.This will allow you to grow more than you realize.If you dont get some of the puzzles in the tactics trainer some of the courses will help aid you in your understanding of why the puzzles end when they do.(basically you understand why you have the advantage).

GMoney5097

Ratings in those are to show improvement, not definte skill.  I've been 500 in Tactics Trainer and 2000+ in Chess Mentor, and my internal rating is about 1150.

TheLukiePoo

That most likely means that your tactics need work. I got a diamond membership so I could get unlimited access to the TT and CM and after about a month practicing My ratings on them are about 2100!My USCF rating is only 1488 so I hope once I go to some tournaments it'll go up! Fingers are crossed!Laughing

Good luck 

ljschess

Conflagration_Planet
macsys wrote:

Hi, 

I am just new here, and really love the site.....

I wonder why i score better at the chess mentor (+1800), compared to the tactics trainer (between 1200-1400)?

Is it me??

rgds,

andre

I'm right at 2000 on CM, and still suck at chess. You practically can't help but go up on CM. It mainly shows you're just progressing through the CM courses. Definatly does NOT indicate your actual chess rating!