Forums

What is Chess Mentor and why this new forum?

Sort:
arthurdavidbert

I guess you need to go by time to properly allocate your resources, but for us slow people by lesson would be better. I guess a basic question might be; where is the best place in chess.com for a slow person to start?

pakitine

The time limit is only for the rating's sake. The timing and rating I presume is because of the increasing internatonal importance of short time ( 15 minute) tournaments. One can go back and repeat the lesson as much as one wants.

knightknife

a bit confusing,im a diamond member so i can access all lessons.  The lessons are never ending ,always adding new ones or do they end and you cant go any further? an imperfectworld where the answers are sometimes unclear,makes me smack my head

Patzer24

We do add new courses and lessons each and every month.

odinspirit

I think CM is fantastic and is a tremendous learning resource. It blows me away.

I sit here and shake my head at some of the dummies on this forum who blast it and say it's worthless.

Like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it.

I'm especially fond of using the advanced custom training options. For example, I can say i want to study minor piece endgames with problems rated between 1000 and 1500 and viola all of a sudden I'm engaged in a specific chess problem. Learning, thinking, calculating, and interacting with a board that gives me hints and advice as to why a move I chose wasn't the best. Or if I want more continuity, I can go thru one lesson sequentially. It's like a series of really good chess books that you can interact with that keep getting chapters added to them. I mean what more could you want?

Anyways that's my .02 about it.

Definitely one of the best things about this site for players like me who are trying to get better.

chesstrophy

chess mentor RULES!

droidsupertank

webmaster wrote:

Chess Mentor is Chess.com's flagship online training system. You get in-depth detailed instruction by Grandmasters and top chess coaches who help you through every area of your game. You get a rating and detailed reporting on more than 100 aspects of your game.

To see more go here => Chess Mentor

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to discuss courses and lessons, as well as answer questions about the service. Enjoy! 

learner_4

I have so far been unable to find feature/pricing for program use, whether via an internet connection or on a stand-alone pc.  Where is this information documented?  That is, what are the options and costs, and any limitations on program use?

Thanks!

F.

Patzer24

Hello learner_4. The Chess Mentor web edition at www.chess.com/chessmentor requires an internet connection as well as a Diamond membership subscription which is offered on a monthly or yearly basis. The monthly Diamond membership is $12.99 per month while the yearly Diamond membership is $95.88 per year. For more information on the Diamond memberships please see http://www.chess.com/membership.html

Then there is the original Chess Mentor program found at www.chessmentor.com which does not require an internet connection. However, this version has less content than the Chess Mentor web edition which has new courses and lessons added every month.

Conflagration_Planet

I heard chess menter on here is more suitable to intermediate players than beginners.

learner_4

Patzer24 -- thank you!  Silly assumption on my part to believe the Members section wasn't worth examining fully ..

F.

Kernicterus
woodshover wrote:

I heard chess menter on here is more suitable to intermediate players than beginners.

There are plenty of lessons for people who are just learning...but yeah, don't beginners need to play lots of games before they can get the practical sense of what the lessons are teaching?

Conflagration_Planet
AfafBouardi wrote:
woodshover wrote:

There are plenty of lessons for people who are just learning...but yeah, don't beginners need to play lots of games before they can get the practical sense of what the lessons are teaching?

I guess so.

ChessuBet

I PERSONALLY AM A FAIRLY NEW STUDENT TO CHESS AND HAVE GOTTEN A LITTLE FRUSTRATED WITH SOME OF THE BOOKS IVE BOUGHT.HAVING A HANDS ON TOOL LIKE THIS IS LIKE NOTHING ELSE IVE EXPERIENCED, LOVE IT! 

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR ALL THE EPERTISE, HARDWORK AND CEATIVITY THAT HAS GONE INTO CHESS MENTOR AND WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A MEMBORSHIP WITH JUST THIS TOOL.     

ONLY REGRET I HAVE IS NOT HAVING DISCOVERED THIS SITE SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                                       

h777

Chess mentor is great! who made it? I was a premium member but now I am a diamond member so I get unlimited chess mentor!

Apachimous
[COMMENT DELETED]
cryptic_cave

After doing 3 to 4 demo lessons on Chess Mentor I was thoroughly convinced of its unique value. I signed up for a year. As I continue with Mentor in the coming months, I believe that it will rapidly usher me from a beginner to an intermediate player. After a week with Mentor I am now in the 1620's in doing Mentors chess puzzles. I feel as if I am making real progress. I am encouraged. Laughing

SanWogi

Chess Mentor is nice, but there are is a thing that annoys me a bit. If someone finds a so called "alternative right move" why does he still have to guess on time and for points the move the author wants?  

E.g. if I play the best move and he says sth. like: "Thats the best move, but we want to play sth. else." and then I try sth. else and he says sth. like "it is a good move, but not the one I want you to play", and he gives me a "wrong move". This way I get to the "right" move, which isn't necessarily better than the "wrong move", in the third try or have to go for a hint loosing some points. And then I feel like I don't get the points I deserve, because I have found the best move first and then a good move in the position, and the author admits it. But I have to guess a lot and get punished because I don't find the intended move of the author. 

I know that it is important to consider different ideas. And it's great that the intended moves are not necessarily the best ones, because usually it's about ideas and not just single moves. But is it fair that one who finds the "intended" move first won't be punished for not finding the best move but vice versa? 

If the text of the author has already given a hint on what the plan might be, it is Ok to handle it this way. But if the user is allowed to "fire at will" finding the "alternative best move" should be sufficient to proceed without being punished. 

arthurdavidbert

Just because. Hence I'm a Platinum member.Cool

cryptic_cave

Mentor is much to my liking. I find it both encouraging and instructive. It gives me hope. I believe that it will allow me to become an intermediate chess player or better. It is my way forward, and it is fun!   Laughing