What is Chess Mentor and why this new forum?

Patzer24

Thank you for your feedback on demo lesson 19. Here are my thoughts:

"First of all - the 25. Rd2 is again a blunder, wich has totally lost at once after 25...Qe7 as it is claimed in lesson, but insteed of blunder white can make good move and hold a draw!"

The lesson is not meant to play the best moves for the white side. This lesson is actually going over a real game and therefore white's blunder is an instructive mistake. We should not look at this lesson as a scientific study but rather a learning tool.

"For second - after 25...Bb5 white has no easy win!"

Actually according to the Rybka chess program 25...Bb5 is the second best evaluated move and therefore the "my second best" claim is valid.

"And for third and most important - white can make other 25 move, not allowing black 25....Qe7 at all. For example 25. Re1 or 25. Rd3 still has chances for a draw, or even dare 25. Ra1 Bxd4 26.cxd4 Bb5 27. Qf2 and there is no clear win at all!"

Again, we are not to look at this lesson as a scientific study trying to find the absolute correct line of play upon every move. The author is just showing how the game went rather than how the opponent could have improved. And the claim "should lead to nothing but suffering for White." is a valid claim as Rybka chess program evaluates the position in favor of black at -0.75 after 21...Rfe8

pakitine

From Chess Mentor I have had to unlearn some things I heard ago. I was playing King's Indian Defense at a practice game in the club and the Expert chided me for posting a knight on the side.   Old theory of course has been

decimated by modernl analysis  and Deep Blue.

I am confused by the instructions at times because the hints change with the changing situation. Sometimes I have to button "Ignore lesson".

I gave up  on a lesson when I made a move and critic said "use the target

you already have before you start a new target. But in my following attempt

the critic said just the opposite, "Start a new target"

I am also consfised as to whether i am actually taking a lesson or an Examination.

I don't have opportunity for discussions as to why I try an idea, as I had remembed in the past. Here  there was  Kings Indian and the Mentor encouraged Black to post Knights on files a and h, which I never did since I was "twitted" by the Club Expert. I was successful playing White in king's Indian but of course I did not play GM's

pakitine

Please excuse my typos.  Things like cataracts eventually catch up.

arthurdavidbert

I guess you need to go by time to properly allocate your resources, but for us slow people by lesson would be better. I guess a basic question might be; where is the best place in chess.com for a slow person to start?

pakitine

The time limit is only for the rating's sake. The timing and rating I presume is because of the increasing internatonal importance of short time ( 15 minute) tournaments. One can go back and repeat the lesson as much as one wants.

knightknife

a bit confusing,im a diamond member so i can access all lessons.  The lessons are never ending ,always adding new ones or do they end and you cant go any further? an imperfectworld where the answers are sometimes unclear,makes me smack my head

Patzer24

We do add new courses and lessons each and every month.

odinspirit

I think CM is fantastic and is a tremendous learning resource. It blows me away.

I sit here and shake my head at some of the dummies on this forum who blast it and say it's worthless.

Like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it.

I'm especially fond of using the advanced custom training options. For example, I can say i want to study minor piece endgames with problems rated between 1000 and 1500 and viola all of a sudden I'm engaged in a specific chess problem. Learning, thinking, calculating, and interacting with a board that gives me hints and advice as to why a move I chose wasn't the best. Or if I want more continuity, I can go thru one lesson sequentially. It's like a series of really good chess books that you can interact with that keep getting chapters added to them. I mean what more could you want?

Anyways that's my .02 about it.

Definitely one of the best things about this site for players like me who are trying to get better.

chesstrophy

chess mentor RULES!

droidsupertank

webmaster wrote:

Chess Mentor is Chess.com's flagship online training system. You get in-depth detailed instruction by Grandmasters and top chess coaches who help you through every area of your game. You get a rating and detailed reporting on more than 100 aspects of your game.

To see more go here => Chess Mentor

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to discuss courses and lessons, as well as answer questions about the service. Enjoy! 

learner_4

I have so far been unable to find feature/pricing for program use, whether via an internet connection or on a stand-alone pc.  Where is this information documented?  That is, what are the options and costs, and any limitations on program use?

Thanks!

F.

Patzer24

Hello learner_4. The Chess Mentor web edition at www.chess.com/chessmentor requires an internet connection as well as a Diamond membership subscription which is offered on a monthly or yearly basis. The monthly Diamond membership is $12.99 per month while the yearly Diamond membership is $95.88 per year. For more information on the Diamond memberships please see http://www.chess.com/membership.html

Then there is the original Chess Mentor program found at www.chessmentor.com which does not require an internet connection. However, this version has less content than the Chess Mentor web edition which has new courses and lessons added every month.

Conflagration_Planet

I heard chess menter on here is more suitable to intermediate players than beginners.

learner_4

Patzer24 -- thank you!  Silly assumption on my part to believe the Members section wasn't worth examining fully ..

F.

Kernicterus
woodshover wrote:

I heard chess menter on here is more suitable to intermediate players than beginners.

There are plenty of lessons for people who are just learning...but yeah, don't beginners need to play lots of games before they can get the practical sense of what the lessons are teaching?

Conflagration_Planet
AfafBouardi wrote:
woodshover wrote:

There are plenty of lessons for people who are just learning...but yeah, don't beginners need to play lots of games before they can get the practical sense of what the lessons are teaching?

I guess so.

ChessuBet

I PERSONALLY AM A FAIRLY NEW STUDENT TO CHESS AND HAVE GOTTEN A LITTLE FRUSTRATED WITH SOME OF THE BOOKS IVE BOUGHT.HAVING A HANDS ON TOOL LIKE THIS IS LIKE NOTHING ELSE IVE EXPERIENCED, LOVE IT! 

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR ALL THE EPERTISE, HARDWORK AND CEATIVITY THAT HAS GONE INTO CHESS MENTOR AND WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A MEMBORSHIP WITH JUST THIS TOOL.     

ONLY REGRET I HAVE IS NOT HAVING DISCOVERED THIS SITE SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                                       

h777

Chess mentor is great! who made it? I was a premium member but now I am a diamond member so I get unlimited chess mentor!

Apachimous
[COMMENT DELETED]
cryptic_cave

After doing 3 to 4 demo lessons on Chess Mentor I was thoroughly convinced of its unique value. I signed up for a year. As I continue with Mentor in the coming months, I believe that it will rapidly usher me from a beginner to an intermediate player. After a week with Mentor I am now in the 1620's in doing Mentors chess puzzles. I feel as if I am making real progress. I am encouraged. Laughing