Forums

What is Chess Mentor and why this new forum?

Sort:
News

Chess Mentor is Chess.com's flagship online training system. You get in-depth detailed instruction by Grandmasters and top chess coaches who help you through every area of your game. You get a rating and detailed reporting on more than 100 aspects of your game.

To see more go here => Chess Mentor

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to discuss courses and lessons, as well as answer questions about the service. Enjoy! 

kohai
I didn't realise that there was a time limit on Chess Mentor before i am asked for a subscription payment. I know very little, if anything comes free, but i didn't see it advertised anywhere that there was a time limit
erik
there is not a time limit - there is only a demo of 10 example positions. where does it say time limit?
kohai
I clicked on Chess Mentor, then "Start lessons" and a message came up saying i had no credit left, below this was the "buy now" box showing costs and time length of the course.
Abarai
chess mentors for coaching people who cant play
Unbeliever
Given as the problems range from 800's to  2200's (appx.), I do not think it is specifically geared toward players with little experience.
Patzer24
Yes, there are some lessons which are very complex examples that enlightened me as an 1800 USCF rated player.
Ridzwan
chess mentors are good coach for 800 to 2000
Abarai

chess mentor is a good tactical webpage!!!!LOL!!it is a strong website!

mburch1974
I find Chess Mentor extremely challenging and im in my 1750s. My success rate with the lessons as a whole is about 66% which is terrible I know but granted I just started playing about an hour ago so I havent really learned anything yet. And thats the exciting thing! Because I do have so much I can learn from Chess Mentor. If I can get to 1750+ with no losses "knock on wood" after 8 games. I might be able to get to Expert or better with 80-99% proficiency after a month. Looking forward to gaining rating points!
Paul-Lebon

Is the Chess Mentor software (specifically, Chess Mentor 3 Delux) compatible with Vista 64?

Hugh_T_Patterson

Yeah I was wondering if this was the Chess Mentor 3 Deluxe that I have on my computer

hauula

chess mentor----  I woiuld join in a second if it were not for the time limt.

It seems to me that if this is a mentor program and it is teaching or trying to .

Therefor, it takes TIME to think and analyse,    If one is penalized for attempting to utilize the actual intent of this program.  It feels like the American Educational System.  This would be the best in the chess world if not for that one flaw.

monroy

I think it's the best program  !!!  congratulations and thanks.

chull

I agree about the time limit being a bad thing.  I wish they would sell individual lessons so you could take all the time you need on that one lesson.

I also have a membership question:  Silver membership gives you 30min/mo, which if my math is correct comes to 6hr/yr.  Gold only gives you 3hr/yr.  Is this a typeo? 

ShiViChess

You're absolutely right.

Patzer24

Catalyst_Kh, thank you for spotting this. The final game notation was not reported correctly. I have now made adjustments to this final text of the lesson to be more accurate.

Patzer24

Thank you for your feedback on demo lesson 19. Here are my thoughts:

"First of all - the 25. Rd2 is again a blunder, wich has totally lost at once after 25...Qe7 as it is claimed in lesson, but insteed of blunder white can make good move and hold a draw!"

The lesson is not meant to play the best moves for the white side. This lesson is actually going over a real game and therefore white's blunder is an instructive mistake. We should not look at this lesson as a scientific study but rather a learning tool.

"For second - after 25...Bb5 white has no easy win!"

Actually according to the Rybka chess program 25...Bb5 is the second best evaluated move and therefore the "my second best" claim is valid.

"And for third and most important - white can make other 25 move, not allowing black 25....Qe7 at all. For example 25. Re1 or 25. Rd3 still has chances for a draw, or even dare 25. Ra1 Bxd4 26.cxd4 Bb5 27. Qf2 and there is no clear win at all!"

Again, we are not to look at this lesson as a scientific study trying to find the absolute correct line of play upon every move. The author is just showing how the game went rather than how the opponent could have improved. And the claim "should lead to nothing but suffering for White." is a valid claim as Rybka chess program evaluates the position in favor of black at -0.75 after 21...Rfe8

pakitine

From Chess Mentor I have had to unlearn some things I heard ago. I was playing King's Indian Defense at a practice game in the club and the Expert chided me for posting a knight on the side.   Old theory of course has been

decimated by modernl analysis  and Deep Blue.

I am confused by the instructions at times because the hints change with the changing situation. Sometimes I have to button "Ignore lesson".

I gave up  on a lesson when I made a move and critic said "use the target

you already have before you start a new target. But in my following attempt

the critic said just the opposite, "Start a new target"

I am also consfised as to whether i am actually taking a lesson or an Examination.

I don't have opportunity for discussions as to why I try an idea, as I had remembed in the past. Here  there was  Kings Indian and the Mentor encouraged Black to post Knights on files a and h, which I never did since I was "twitted" by the Club Expert. I was successful playing White in king's Indian but of course I did not play GM's

pakitine

Please excuse my typos.  Things like cataracts eventually catch up.