Forums

Against The English Opening

Sort:
konhidras

Took my lessons from Mihai Subas' book against the english but that didnt work. I think english opening players are really tough chess nuts to crack.

Last_Check

mahn there is some ajinamoto defence which I heared many moons ago in tht opening and is preety solid...

Fear_ItseIf

If anyone is interested or looking for a way to meet the english, I will share my findings.

If you, like me have problems with the main moves against the english I can recommend 1..b6 after looking a bit more indepth to it.

Advantages:

Can frustrate the popular 1.c4 2.g3 move order recommended in dynamic english and i think in GM repertoire as well.

Gives you room to transpose into a hedgehog (often this is difficult against 2.g3) and also to play queens indian style positions (im not so concerned about not having experience in the QI as white or black. This is because 1.c4 is often used to avoid 4 mainlines, so i doubt theyre any more knowledgable).

Can be used against 1.nf3 and other weird first moves (except 1.g3)

If something like 1.nf3 2.d4 you can play nf6 d5 e6 bd6 0-0 nbd7 c5 and we're in the popular anti colle/london setup many benoni/benko players use.

Opponent wont know any theory for it (I wont either really, but at least i know plans).

Disadvantages:

1.nf3 b6 2.d4 d5 3.c4 could be an annoying transposition, but after e6 we're probably heading to a tartakower, which isnt as complicated as learning extra KID and dutch lines and structures if they transpose against those systems. So while it is a slight flaw, it is probably better than alternatives (unless you already play KID or dutch)

Guten7

I played 1..b6 for few years and I think its fun! There are some lines where white have small advatage but still it is really good system. For me most important thing is lines are fresh and far from "normal".

examples:
1. c4 b6 2. d4 e6 3.e4 Bb7 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. Bd3 f5 !
or
1.c4 b6 2. Nc3 Bb7 3. Nf3 e6 4. g3 Bxf3

but of course you need to know plans. 
Write me if you want to go deeper into this.

Scottrf

I play 1. e4, 1...e5 and 1...d5 QGD, literally have no idea what to play against the English.

What is going to something not too complicated theoretical? I'd be happy enough playing a Slav after 1...c6 maybe, so I'd have to be OK with the Panov Botvinnik attack?

Not that I'm going to look heavy into lines but wanted an idea of what sort of pawn structures I can get.

Scottrf

Thanks Pellik. I wouldn't say I play principled chess but I try, and try to play classical rather than hypermodern, and things I understand (as much as I understand anything in chess). 1...e5 is what I've played before. That looks good, thanks.

Fear_ItseIf
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:

1.Nf3 is a weird opening now? OK how do you explain all the tens and tens of thousands of games with it? It is the third most popular opening man, learn some basics before you start spouting off junk like that.

Sorry, that was just poor grammar on my part. It should have read, "it can be played against 1.nf3 as well as offbeat lines, excluding 1.g3.

But still, you should probably calm down and lay off the nitpicking.
Also, 'learn some basics' is a bit hypocritical.

Also. heres a line im very much liking, it satisfies the tromper (trompowsky) inside of me...

Scottrf

Probably because 1750 live blitz is a million miles better than 1500 online.

Moyuba
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:

Also, I not see why you made this thread the first place, you have spit on all ideas given to you by people of all levels.

well this just isn't true. he has said what he thinks about various possible responses, mostly that they are all valid and good ways of playing against the english but not in fitting with the rest of his repertoire and therefore probably a lot of work. meanwhile you have been nothing but obnoxious and unnecessarily aggressive.