Forums

Any recommended openings?

kimliy

Hello, I've been playing the same openings one by one, and I would really like to try some others. My type of style in playing is very agressive. I would like you guys to recommend an opening for me to learn. I've heard that the Kings Indian Defense is an agressive opening, but I would like to know if it really is from a good player. Thanks alot, Aga.

blitzblunderz

Hi there! 

If you have an aggressive playstyle, I have a few openings I could recommend for you! If you're playing with the white pieces, a few openings I'd recommend are-

• The Vienna Game
  • Smith Morra Gambit
  • The Scotch Game
  • Italian Game
  • Ruy Lopez

If you're playing with the black pieces, I'd suggest-

• The Latvian Gambit
  • Alkaline Defense
  • Budapest Gambit

Also, I've moved this thread to the Chess Openings section of the forums, as I think you'll find what you're looking for more easily there! happy.png

blitzblunderz

kimliy

Thank you very much @blitzblunderz grin.png

panderson1973

If you go to the Hikaru Nakamura's and Levy Rozman's youtube channels, they rate the openings for beginners, intermediate and professional players 

RussBell
panderson1973 wrote:

If you go to the Hikaru Nakamura's and Levy Rozman's youtube channels, they rate the openings for beginners, intermediate and professional players 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9CwH47r6og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsb7-LbC34

TheNameofNames

I play center game steinitz and the scotch pretty simple and straight forward concepts not too much to remember with black i play the berlin which will transpose into the urosov gambit, or i play e4 e5 kinght c6 which will transpose into four knights-Spanish or the fried liver which ive stopped using the traxler against but the spanish is good. They are all fairly simple ideas, in the berlin if my opponent plays kc3 after he tries to play the vienna i will always take the e4 pawn with my knight on f6 and when he takes back with the knight ill fork the bishop on c4 and knight that just took back on e4 with my d pawn. Very low fail rate and got me to 1200. Also I suggest looking at the birds defense lol with black against the spanish just to throw your opponent off, the last thing i play is smith mora. Ill play some sicilian lines as i have a book but i never play the sicilian with black kind of intimidated by it honestly. Its good to kind of be familiar with  all of the openings obviously as they contain reoccurring patterns, but easier said than done. But you should always try that trick in the fourknights or berlin after your opponents has played knight c3 and bishop c4 seriously because it assuages any pressure in the middle that might be more complicated like in the london for us novices  

Zikemzen

For white:

Scotch (Learn the scotch gambit or just the scotch, but since you're aggressive, you should play the scotch gambit, but its up to you)

London (My personal favourite) (Solid but you can play it in an aggressive way) The London isn't dangerous but its what you do with it that's dangerous for black.

E4 gambits (Like the blackmar diemer or danish gambit)

Vienna system and Vienna gambit (Can lead to very nice positions where you have center and played F4)

For black: 

Caro-kann (My favourite against E4) (Very solid) I've won a lot of games with the Botvinnik-Carls variation against the advance variation, but the main line is also very playable. In the classical variation i play the bf5 line also called the Capablanca variation, but the tartakower is also solid and plans and development are very straight forward.

Scandinavian (Leads to some interesting positions with simple development and usually a queenside-castle) I like the Qd6 line (Gubinsky-Melts varitation) but the main line is also very playable (Mieses-Kotrc variation

And if you're aggressive the Sicilian defense but its just very theoretical and if you don't know what you're doing, white will crush you. (Only play it, if you really want to study it, but just know white can play so many ways against and you'll have to memorize the best responses. And whoever gets their attack in first, will most likely win the game.

Kings indian defence (My favourite) Very aggressive, but again if you don't know what you're. doing white will just castle queenside, trade your strong dark squared bishop, pawn storm and checkmate you. I put a lot of work into it, but if you wanna play it, it requires a lot of work like the Sicilian

Budapest defense (Tricky and trappy) In a perfect world you regain your pawn and attack whites king, but I would only play it lower time control like bullet or 3-min blitz.

ThrillerFan
blitzblunderz wrote:

Hi there! 

If you have an aggressive playstyle, I have a few openings I could recommend for you! If you're playing with the white pieces, a few openings I'd recommend are-

• The Vienna Game
  • Smith Morra Gambit
  • The Scotch Game
  • Italian Game
  • Ruy Lopez

If you're playing with the black pieces, I'd suggest-

• The Latvian Gambit
  • Alkaline Defense
  • Budapest Gambit

Also, I've moved this thread to the Chess Openings section of the forums, as I think you'll find what you're looking for more easily there!

blitzblunderz

Aggressive and Unsound are not the same thing.  The Latvian Gambit is unsound and the other 2 you recommend for Black are borderline unsound.

Your more aggressive (though sound) openings basically are:

White - 1.e4

Black -

Sicilian and French against 1.e4

Grunfeld and Modern Benoni against 1.d4

chamo2074

Buy Gotham's e4 course...

B1ZMARK

For white I’d say the center game is the funniest choice

but seriously... maybe the kings gambit? 
Kings Indian defense is ok for black, I guess, but against 1.e4 you don’t really have any aggressive options for black.

AunTheKnight

You can get many courses, but for white I would suggest the London System.

kimliy
AunTheKnight wrote:

You can get many courses, but for white I would suggest the London System.

I dont really know how to play the London system though, All I know is that I start with d4 then take the bishop out.

kimliy
B1ZMARK wrote:

Kings Indian defense is ok for black, I guess, but against 1.e4 you don’t really have any aggressive options for black.

I dont really like the center game, its bad for you because you take your queen out early and overall not so good.

kimliy
chamo2074 wrote:

Its 60 something dollars x_x

Your_In_Check

London for white its a d4 opening

kimliy
Zikemzen wrote:

For white:

Scotch (Learn the scotch gambit or just the scotch, but since you're aggressive, you should play the scotch gambit, but its up to you)

London (My personal favourite) (Solid but you can play it in an aggressive way) The London isn't dangerous but its what you do with it that's dangerous for black.

E4 gambits (Like the blackmar diemer or danish gambit)

Vienna system and Vienna gambit (Can lead to very nice positions where you have center and played F4)

For black: 

Caro-kann (My favourite against E4) (Very solid) I've won a lot of games with the Botvinnik-Carls variation against the advance variation, but the main line is also very playable. In the classical variation i play the bf5 line also called the Capablanca variation, but the tartakower is also solid and plans and development are very straight forward.

Scandinavian (Leads to some interesting positions with simple development and usually a queenside-castle) I like the Qd6 line (Gubinsky-Melts varitation) but the main line is also very playable (Mieses-Kotrc variation

And if you're aggressive the Sicilian defense but its just very theoretical and if you don't know what you're doing, white will crush you. (Only play it, if you really want to study it, but just know white can play so many ways against and you'll have to memorize the best responses. And whoever gets their attack in first, will most likely win the game.

Kings indian defence (My favourite) Very aggressive, but again if you don't know what you're. doing white will just castle queenside, trade your strong dark squared bishop, pawn storm and checkmate you. I put a lot of work into it, but if you wanna play it, it requires a lot of work like the Sicilian

Budapest defense (Tricky and trappy) In a perfect world you regain your pawn and attack whites king, but I would only play it lower time control like bullet or 3-min blitz.

I really like the scoth just a very simple and classic opening. I also dont really like gambiting a pawn unless I get another pawn in exchange. I dont sacrifise unless its going to get me a better positon. I also agree the Kings Indian Defense is a very agressive and classic opening I just like the way you get your knight and bishop out then attack the center. Attacking the center is one of my favourite tactics/moves in chess.

kimliy
B1ZMARK wrote:

I mean the Kings gambit. Ehh I dont like gambiting my kings pawn in the beginning of the game..

chamo2074
Aga_Rahmanov wrote:
chamo2074 wrote:

But he posts a brief lesson about them on youtube for free

You can search for

Vienna system GothamChess against e5

Free elo with the blackmar-diemer gambit GothamChess against d5

Deffered wing gambit gothamchess against c5 and e6

Monkey's bum gothamchess against g6 or d6

Fantasy variation gothamchess against c6

kimliy
chamo2074 wrote:
Aga_Rahmanov wrote:
chamo2074 wrote:

But he posts a brief lesson about them on youtube for free

You can search for

Vienna system GothamChess against e5

Free elo with the blackmar-diemer gambit GothamChess against d5

Deffered wing gambit gothamchess against c5 and e6

Monkey's bum gothamchess against g6 or d6

Fantasy variation gothamchess against c6

Thank you so much for the recommendations, I'll watch it when I have time : )

pawnkn1g

Hey there, your openings or at least their variations vary depending upon your play style. And I’m quite sure most of the players will suggest this themselves. However, if I am to list a few (although I’m not a very theory person)-

Must learn:

Sicilian: Always learn a variation of Sicilian from both the sides. If however, you’re not suitable playing the Sicilian, at least learn the variations from white’s side so that you know how to counter a Sicilian when you see one. I prefer playing the KAN variation and the FRENCH variation (KAN is a line in the French variation, do correct me if I’m wrong). From the white side, I prefer options. I could go for the open Sicilian, the Rossolimo attack or the delayed Alapin variation. You could also opt for opening systems but those are not made to counter the Sicilian specifically.

Ruy Lopez or Italian: Honestly, after e4, many lines are possible but these two openings are the most common. When I see a Spanish setup, I would be willing to go for the Berlin or the Marshall. 

Now, suggesting on the basis of play styles (Attacking, Positional and Orthodox) we have-

1. Attacking:

To perform an attack, you need space. Space can be either made out of gambits or exchanges. In gambits, many times, the opponent has the option to not provide you the advantage you’re seeking. If they fall for the gambit, congratulations, move forward to the next phase- Attack. 
Exchanges are subject to calculation. A mere pointless exchange which provides you no advantage of space or material is not to be considered unless you don’t have an option.

examples- King’s Gambit, Vienna Gambit, Smith-Moria Gambit, Latvian Gambit, etc.

2. Positional:

Positional style is the style of the time. Positional openings can be any opening which improvises your position, even the gambits. Dominance, pressure and opportunity are key elements to have in mind while playing positional games. The openings can be, Queen’s Gambit, London, King’s Indian, etc.

3. Orthodox:

Orthodox play style simply means and is proportional to how well you’re with theory. To play this style one needs to study to depth of the lines they are preparing. Such openings are- Sicilian, French, Ruy Lopez, etc.

please do correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.