Forums

Best defence against e4 for patzers ?

Sort:
wolfen2000

Hi Chessmaster,

as I am still playing on patzer level I am seeking a good, solid defence as black against e4 which is easy to learn. I play the Tartakower in the Gambit declined against all other variations with more and more `success`.

Any suggestions ? I have tried the Hyper-accelerated Dragon at least but it is too difficult for me to get into it.

conejiux

Try the Caro-Kann. Its easy to learn, solid and has many chances to win as black. Take a look at Karpov games with the Caro-Kann.

duck_and_cover

The Caro Kann isn't easy to learn. You have to prepare for 3.Nc3, 3.e5, and 3.exd5, which all lead to different types of positions.

Rather look at the French, the Pirc/Modern, or the Scandinavian.

Kingpatzer

If you think hte Caro is complex, suggesting the French or Pirc is kind of odd. I agree that the Scandinavian is a solid and fairly simple defense. 

InfiniteFlash

Everyone doesn't understand that everything is different for everyone. They recommend what they think is best for themselves, not what is best for the OP.

The fact is, the best defense for you to play, is what you feel most comfortable at. I don't know an amateur that plays solid chess. They usually blunder terribly before they manage to do such. What do you mean by solid chess??

Therefore, you should explore around seeing what you like. Any defense is alright because we do not know what you like really.

Keep searching. Bear through it, because once you find it you will achieve nice feats in your games, and see progress. Knowing and feeling a position that you play regularly, to be playable is often all you need. Winning positions are not served on a platter, so you have to work on other stuff too.

conejiux

The Caro is easy for our level. Sure it has many sidelines like the other openings, but if you learn and practice it, in a month you'll be ready to play well with it. The Caro and the French have similarities, but the Caro Kann has less problems with the central pawns.

NimzoRoy

There isn't any "best defense" for beginners or intermediate or advanced players. If there was, why would any other defenses be played?  The "best defense" is to know what you're doing regardless of what opening you're playing

http://www.chess.com/blog/NimzoRoy/chess-opening-principles?_domain=old_blog_host&_parent=old_frontend_blog_view

conejiux
NimzoRoy wrote:

There isn't any "best defense" for beginners or intermediate or advanced players. If there was, why would any other defenses be played?  The "best defense" is to know what you're doing regardless of what opening you're playing

Agree...

Gloomshroom

The Scandinavian gets my vote, too. Solid and focusing more on ideas than heavy-duty variation memorization. Also, there's no good way of avoiding it. Short of plunging into Balckmar-Diemer gambit territory with 1. e4 d5 2. d4!?, you'll get "your" opening every time. That's not bad.

towbat

It's best to start out learning proper opening theory rather than a specific named opening. This leads to opening by memorization, which only works if the game stays in the book, which, to quote Nimzowitsch, "it always never does." The best route is to simply take some lessons. If you insist on teaching yourself, try looking at some of Valeri Lilov's instructional videos on this site. I know it sounds crazy, but after 1500 years, e5 still works...

duck_and_cover
Kingpatzer wrote:

If you think hte Caro is complex, suggesting the French or Pirc is kind of odd. I agree that the Scandinavian is a solid and fairly simple defense. 

The French or Pirc may be complex but they are easy to learn because Black can apply the same ideas against different White setups. The CK is different.

The OP asked about "easy to learn", and not about "not complex" openings.

Shivsky

First answer: Checkers?

Second answer: Whatever works for you.  You really can't be asking "best" questions when it comes to openings.  It's like asking people what the best flavor of ice-cream is.

Try out all of these recommendations above (play them out in blitz so that you can come to a decision quicker) and settle on something that fits nicely with the positions you like to play.

Irjene

I personally play e5 or c5 to counter e4. e5 I mainly play a defensive opening while c5 a fight for dominace with scilian dragon varaition. Depends on your style if you want to dictate how the game goes don't play e5 which white dictates alot of you first 10 moves.