Forums

Caro Kann Tartakower (Fantasy) Variation

Sort:
jphillips

I'm looking for a way to play against the Caro Kann and I found something called the Tartakower (Fantasy) variation.  There aren't very many games played with it in the database, but it seems to have good results.  Is it good?  Why isn't it played more often?

Fear_ItseIf

I looked at it ages ago, I remember some lines where black played Qb6 (polgar used this a bit from memory) are very annoying

Jorgenssen

Indeed, 3...Qb6 straight away is becoming the main line, and scoring over 50% for black in recent play.

NimzoRoy
jphillips wrote:

I'm looking for a way to play against the Caro Kann and I found something called the Tartakower (Fantasy) variation.  There aren't very many games played with it in the database, but it seems to have good results.  Is it good?  Why isn't it played more often?

Is it good? NO Why isn't it played more often? Because it isn't good. You should consider investing in a GP Opening Manual such as MCO-15  or Nunn's Chess Openings (NCO) which will usually answer questions like this one for you, or at least give you someplace to begin your research.

BUT maybe my opinion is getting dated (like me). Start using search engines more often, I just typed "Caro Kann Defense Fantasy Variation" into one & found what looks like a very good source of info on it, with several links to more articles on it. I'm bookmarking it myself in case I ever decide to try using this bogus (IMHO) line again. It's probably OK for blitz games though - until you run into an opponent who knows one of several ways to easily equalize (at least) vs this line

http://kenilworthian.blogspot.com/2010/03/caro-kann-defense-fantasy-variation.html

PS: The first 4 links in the above link don't work, but several more do. The last link in this article supports my curmudgeonly opinion at least as of 2002                       http://www.chesscafe.com/text/mcgrew01.pdf

gaereagdag

The fantasy variation was used to win the Fantasy Island Chess Championship:

WanderingPuppet
FirebrandX wrote:

I actually enjoy it when white plays the fantasy variation. I use GM Sam Shankland's repertoire of 3...dxe4 4. fxe4 e5 5. Nf3 Bg4 6. Bc4 Nd7 7. O-O Ngf6 8. c3 Bd6 for a nice double-edged fight.

6.c3 followed by Be2 is pleasant for White. :-/.  i saw Sam's AN and i agree that it's excellent for the lines he considered.  of course the fantasy leads to many complicated and elaborate positions but objectively white should prove a small nominal edge in most positions.

Mainline_Novelty
FirebrandX wrote:

I actually enjoy it when white plays the fantasy variation. I use GM Sam Shankland's repertoire of 3...dxe4 4. fxe4 e5 5. Nf3 Bg4 6. Bc4 Nd7 7. O-O Ngf6 8. c3 Bd6 for a nice double-edged fight.

9.Qb3!? 0-0! 10.Qxb7 ed 11.cd Nb6 12.Bb3! Nxe4 13.Nc3! Nxc3 14.bc Qd7 15.Qxd7 Nxd7 leads to a slightly better, but still interesting endgame for White.

Courtney-P

I played a similar line last Wednesday OTB in our weekly club tournament.  I played 3.Nc3 to feint a classical Caro-Kann and after 3...dxe mainline classical played 4. f3 exf 5.Nxf3 ..that's essentially a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit: Zeigler Variation

For all the patzers at the club like me.  I'd say it gives very good attacking chances for white and some tough tactics on f7 for Black to cope with OTB.

Courtney-P
Jeevason
rychessmaster1

You have to be kidding me..... why are there TWO Tarkatower Caros

blueemu

Ivanchuk vs Jobava is interesting.