Damiano defense-3...h5

The following Damiano defense is played:

Black plays 3...h5 and all the known lines are shot. Is there a better continuation than:

Basically, what would YOU do after 3...h5?

rssnspy6 wrote:

Basically, what would YOU do after 3...h5?

I would resign.

I would resign.

If you are going to be snide and unconstructive, don't bother answering. I've never seen anyone play 3...h5 and I'm asking what the best response is.

You're line is good enough, the Damiano is basically unseen and undoubtly inferior. In your final position, white has a decisive material and positional advantage. In fact, many white players would readily give up one or two pawns just to cause such a mess in black's camp.

white has excellent compensation for blacks pawn

If you want something less pedestrian than 5.Nxf8, you can play 5.Be2, which I'm sure that is winning easily.

Well, to be fair, in exchange for the sacrificed pawn Black *has* managed to develop his King and Rook.

OK, now this is a good exercise: Is white winning after 4.Be2, or not?

No, I mean leaving the horse en prise (4.Be2). The other one (5.Be2) is certainly winning, although less easily than 5.Nxf8.

I do not see something concrete either, but my instict says white must have something evil.

Just an exercise on tactics, not something of real importance.

Thank you, all, for the discussion. I agree with Nestman, despite what Sam Sloan says, the Damiano Defense shouldn't be played (especially in correspondence chess).

The delayed  (as is often played) damiano e4 f6 often transposes into a Bongcloud defense.

or Join

Online Now