Forums

Defences to the Parham Attack

Sort:
The_Gavinator

It's amazing, shepi and CS can't find lines against the Parham, so they resort to using databases that only have like 4 games in them. Helzeth, why aren't they on the list?

Ben_Dubuque

Gavinator I found just relized why it sounds like you are on some really good stuff... you are a Libertarian.

shepi13
The_Gavinator wrote:

It's amazing, shepi and CS can't find lines against the Parham, so they resort to using databases that only have like 4 games in them. Helzeth, why aren't they on the list?

I also used the DB that you used lol.

However, you make a good point (the one we were making to you when you used one with just 17 games), so I need to ask a question to all of you:

Does anyone have access to Chessbase or Fritz13's databases? If so could you post the results for the parham and ruy lopez here. Hopefully those major DB's have more than 4 games.

shepi13

And Gavinator, when you say that I lost to whatupyodog, you are using a database of 2 games (which is less than 4):

50% - White win

0% - Draw

50% - Black win

You should note that in every database given the ruy lopez scores better than this.

Fine print: Given the past few posts, you might think I like the ruy lopez. I actually play 1.d4. I am just trying to show that openings that are considered sound are better than the parham.

More fine print: Gavinator is right that the ruy has a higher draw % than the parham, and in his database (only) the parham wins more than the ruy. Nevertheless, even in his 17 game database the ruy scores better because most of the draws the ruy creates would have been wins for black in the parham. It's better to draw than lose in my opinion, and I believe most people will agree with this.

The_Gavinator

I think that databases aren't a very good thing to test the Parham, because that:

1. There is no actual defined Parham theory.

2. There is many people who play it for the 4-move mate then get crushed after.

3. There is just a lack of games, nobody has found more than 20 games or so in a single databases, while many of these databases have thousands of Ruy Lopez Games.

P.S.- I didn't try to find a database where the Parham won more than others. I literally searched "Chess Opening Explorer", and the chessgames.com came up first, but you have to pay for full access, in chess365 there was more games and you didn't have to pay for full access. That's the DB I always use, I didn't find one for the Parham.

1RedKnight99

Please be relevant, helpful and nice!

The_Gavinator

The bottom line here is the Parham is a perfectly valid opening, that's fine to play.

Ben_Dubuque

Somehow I think I am going to side with not only the better player, but the more expierienced person, the engines, GM's, and my own gut feeling, and say this opening is a POS (for those who don't know that acronym google it.)

Ben_Dubuque

Not that kind of POS. I meant car slang

Ben_Dubuque

you guys are really ignorent. it means Piece of ****

Scottrf

I think he knew that...

Bill_C

I still think Black punishes whites folly after the queen goes back to f3 with qf6 then finishes development. in most OTB games I play against this opening I almost always come out on top with Black but IDK....

Ben_Dubuque

Ok I thought you were being serious. sorry. there was no evidence that it was sarcasm or another lower form of humor.

Ben_Dubuque

well considering you posted the wiki page of a rapper I was a little conserned.

The_Gavinator

Jet, I doubt you've figured out, but for slang there's this site called Urban Dictionary.

Ben_Dubuque

yeah just figured that out.

The_Gavinator

Not as ridiculous as ChristianSoldier teaching.

shepi13

I tried to look up Jakario's FIDE rating on fide.com, but there is no listing for Omara, Jakario. Either he is using an alias on chess.com or he doesn't have a fide rating.

shepi13

Jakario, all of your games are in the opening, which you are allowed to use databases in.

The_Gavinator
Samsch wrote:

"Nope, Bernard Parham has a secret defense to his own attack with the black pieces. He doesn't publish it though because if everyone knew the Parham would be busted. He'll sell it for $1,250,000 though. It's a comprehensive 942 page refutation to the Parham attack. Of course, nobody will ever figure it out though -- no even computers because they don't understand the Matrix." -Sungolian

Btw, Bobby Fischer figured out a sucessful defense too, but he's dead...

So Bernard Parham is just as good as Bobby Fischer? That seems about right.