Forums

Does anyone here perfer black like me?

Sort:
SmurfOnSteroids

I liek playing black, because I can choose which defense is going to be used, which controls the game.

blueemu

I tend to have more interesting games... and often more success... with the Black pieces. Of all the chess games that I've played, my top three favorites were all with the Black pieces.

AndyClifton

Yes, I loved that book!

piphilologist

If you prefer black, play 1.a3 when you are white. It's the same as playing black (except for the extra move a3, which might be useful later)

For example: The sicilian

kikvors

I prefer black too; the last four years or so, I've asked my team captain to only give me black in club team competition (which he's happy to do, as there are always enough people who like playing white) after I noticed that there's about 200 points difference between my performance as white and my performance as black over the years.

As white, I'm over aggressive. I'm white, so I should be slightly better, so I should find the win in this position! As black I have much more patience, I just aim for a healthy position, don't do anything rash and wait for the inevitable mistakes by my opponent.

Although I'm fully aware of how that works, it's hard to do something about it.

That's also not the only thing, I have an opening repertoire with white (1.d4 2.c4 main lines) where black has some options leading to the type of instable positions that I'm just not good at. As black I only have to concentrate on a few openings.

Scottrf

I think it's probably better to try and correct your mistakes as white than to try and play as black with the white pieces.

ponz111

I  do not care Black or White but definitely White is easier to play.

However, I have learned to play Black in such a way as to give good winning chances and so while it is "hard" it is also challenging and that is "fun"

kikvors

@scottrf: Yes, obviously, but the team matches are the games where I care about results the most, and they also happen to be the only games where there is a choice.

Fear_ItseIf

I love both,

My Black repertoire is very sharp, filled with gambits and such because I can in most cases, as you said, control the opening.

However, I feel very safe playing white. I still control the opening with my repertoire, but I dont run too much risk of losing from a single tactical blunder since most of my openings as white I know well, and the ideas are very clear for me.
They also give black very little chance to create complications, and if they do, I will know them better.

moonnie

A pawn is worth 3 moves... never thought of it that way. Nice rule of the tumb. Thx Estragon

Likhit1

I prefer Black as well due to the variety it offers and I've had better results as Black than as White in my Tournaments as well!

AndyClifton
moonnie wrote:

A pawn is worth 3 moves... never thought of it that way. Nice rule of the tumb. Thx Estragon

lol