Dynamic Reply to 1.e4 e5

  • #21

    @ponz111: Nice game (post #17). I've already disowned my earlier rash statements about this line. Actually, I like the Danish Gambit (& Goring) even if it has lost favor in high level play. I just can't bring myself to give away that second pawn, choosing instead the even more suspicious 3.Nf3 or 3.Bc4. With those tries, I usually end up giving away the whole game! Laughing

  • #22
    pfren wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:
    Nakanov wrote:

    Danish Gambit is my favorite.

    My too.

    e4-e5
    d4-ex
    c3-dx
    Bc4-cx
    Bx and the white bishops dominate the board 

    This particular move order is bad for white (Nf3 and Nc6 should be inserted first). White is basically two pawns down for very little, if anything, after 5...Bb4+.

    See here:

    http://www.chess.com/article/view/danish-cracker

    I would maby not play this against grandmaster but this opening can be very good because few players study this for black. And it's even better in blitz. If black dosen't play so well his positon can fall down. Black is not two pawns down for nothing. White has open position the bishops are putting pressure on f7 and g7. I see that you have an IM norm and you are definitely better than me in chess but don't exclusion the Danish. Of course I know Nf3 - Nc6 is more common, I play the scotch, the Italian and somtmes the spanish. But it's alwais fun to surprise the opponent with the gambits like the Danish.

  • #23
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    I would maby not play this against grandmaster but this opening can be very good because few players study this for black. And it's even better in blitz.

    It's good to play against your aunt, which does not know the moves, and little more than that. White is material down for no real compensation, and that is that.

  • #24
    TheGreenToad wrote:

    The knowledge of openings isplayed by the posts so far is impressive ,but on a slightly different topic: at what stage in your chess development does opening knowledge become truly important? I.E will I be able to get away with just the basics as a lower level player?

    There's a formula:

    The answer is the rating of the person you ask - 200 Foot in mouth

  • #25
    pfren wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    I would maby not play this against grandmaster but this opening can be very good because few players study this for black. And it's even better in blitz.

    It's good to play against your aunt, which does not know the moves, and little more than that. White is material down for no real compensation, and that is that.

    Ok pfren, that's your opinion, not mine.

  • #26

    I would say 1800 but of course the question is hard to answer because of the term "truly important"

  • #27

    I agree with Estragon

  • #28
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    Ok pfren, that's your opinion, not mine.

    Well, of course, and this does make a difference: My opinion counts.

  • #29
    pfren wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    Ok pfren, that's your opinion, not mine.

    Well, of course, and this does make a difference: My opinion counts.

    Goodbye

  • #30
    jempty_method wrote:
    rooperi wrote:

    The Vienna can be fun, 2 Nc3

    The strength of this move, paradoxically, is that it threatens nothing - Tartakover

    The line where probably the most piece play arises from this is if Black goes in for 2...Nf6  3. Bc4 (also via tranposition: 2. Bc4 Nf6  3. Nc3) and now the "fork trick" with 3...Nxe4 but 4. Qh5 leads to the so-called "Frankenstein-Dracula" variation:

    some fun miniatures:




  • #31
    skakmadurinn wrote:
    pfren wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    Ok pfren, that's your opinion, not mine.

    Well, of course, and this does make a difference: My opinion counts.

    Goodbye


    Hey, if ya' can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, or the topic, or whatever. It's not the theoretical validity of phren's comments that is important, though I suppose that's useful to some people. It's the refreshing bluntness and brutal honesty that is so entertaining....... BTW, in the 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 etc. line, at what point should white 'insert' Nf3? If 3.Nf3, doesn't that just transpose into a Scotch?

  • #32
    melvinbluestone wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:
    pfren wrote:
    skakmadurinn wrote:

    Ok pfren, that's your opinion, not mine.

    Well, of course, and this does make a difference: My opinion counts.

    Goodbye


    Hey, if ya' can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, or the topic, or whatever. It's not the theoretical validity of phren's comments that is important, though I suppose that's useful to some people. It's the refreshing bluntness and brutal honesty that is so entertaining....... BTW, in the 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 etc. line, at what point should white 'insert' Nf3? If 3.Nf3, doesn't that just transpose into a Scotch?

    Here is a video about the Danish. Danish gambit never transpose into the Scotch game. It's just a nother opening.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1uZKg5tP_c 

  • #33

    The Danish gambit transposes, if Black wishes so, to the Goring gambit, which is classified as Scotch opening.

    Poor Dracula (1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5) is a toothless creature if black plays 4...Nd6 5.Bb3 Be7! 6.Nf3 Nc6 7.Nxe5 g6! when Black has easy equality, he could venture 5...Nc6 6.Nb5 etc. only if he urgently wants a win.

  • #34

    Typo, I think. Maybe 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 etc. I don't like the white side of this mess, and I wouldn't even play it against my aunt.

  • #35

    Uh yes, a typo, hardly relevant. White can bring this up either with 2.Bc4, or 2.Nc3.

    White doesn't stand badly, actually. I played the black part in a corr. game here, and I could not get more than a draw- my opponent played really well, and held this without particular trouble.

    A small insignificant detail is that the opponent is past here, as a cheater. Well, if a patzer (me, myself, I) can draw with Black this shit against Houdini with ease (I wasn't the one defending at any part of the game), then the conclusion is that the position isn't really promising white much- rather the opposite.

    But all this is quite irrelevant. The relevant thing is that after 5...Be7 white has nothing at all, Black has a great game provided that he plays 7...g6! instead of castling (which can be dangerous indeed).

or Join

Online Now