Forums

e4 e5 nf3 f6!!??

Sort:
Nusons

Worst opening ever in my opinion for black. Here's why.

Rubblewurm
[COMMENT DELETED]
stalematingintellect
Rubblewurm wrote: 
I like playing this for fun sometimes not good at all but still fun.

Fun for White obviously after 4. Nc4.  If 4...Qxe4+  5. Ne3 followed by 6. Nc3, if 4...d5  5. Qh5+ followed by 6. Qxd5, and if 4...f5  5. Nc3 and then if 5...fxe4?  6. Nd5.

Actually I suppose in that second line Black gets some counterplay as follows - is this what you are hoping for?

Rubblewurm
[COMMENT DELETED]
blasterdragon

nope not worst look at the opening of the day the mosquitto gambit which is the worst in my oppinion

Nusons

Never ever have seen mosquito gambit in my games. 

Schevenadorf

Explains why it's called the mosquito gambit.

will8385
[COMMENT DELETED]
steve_bute

Now would be the correct moment for someone to post "The Damiano Defence refutes 1.e4".

Daniel_Nguyen

This is a game that I played 2 days ago that was doing f6. LOL.

Chessking47
Fiveofswords wrote:

the real reason f6 is a bad move is much simpler. It doesnt develop.

d6 doesn't develop either.

Jimmykay

wow great post. I have been playing 2...f6 all these years, and facing it all the time! Everyone plays it.

What a brilliant refutation!

TBentley

I would label them 2...f6?! and 3...fxe5??

chess_pagol

Sacrificing a knight on start is not a good idea in opening, i don't see any bid adv !

-BEES-
fireflashghost wrote:
Chessking47 wrote:
Fiveofswords wrote:

the real reason f6 is a bad move is much simpler. It doesnt develop.

d6 doesn't develop either.

But d6 is a more solid way to defend the pawn, because it doesn't weaken the kingside, and in general it begins to set up a solid position.  2...d6 isn't necessarily the best line (and in my opinion going through a Pirc-like move order is a better option to get to a Philidor), but it's loads more preferable than 2...f6? and much more sound.

The real real real issue is that f6 doesn't actually defend the pawn. It opens up tactics that allow White to take on e5 anyway. The pawn on e5 is only indirectly defended by playing Qe7 and retaking on e4--something Black could do without playing f6 anyway.

kellypk417

I can't believe I am going to say this but I believe Fisher played it wrong. The one time someone played 3...Qe7 I played as fisher did except I played Be3. The light square bishop is to valuable as an attacking piece to be tied down to e2. Bishop e3 also prevents the next threat. I will break out the board and check it out. This is from memory.

Not the worst opening at all!! Here comes the best game of Damiano defense!! Why is it the best game? Because Worlds best player got drawn by the Damiano defense. Recently I am trying this opening. Good progress!!

adumbrate

there is so much better things than damiano

Murgen

I wish all of my opponents would play Damiano's Defence when I have White! Laughing

5-cell

Charetter115