Forums

Easiest opening to learn for beginners ..

Sort:
FLchessplayer

<I once had a 2200 rating ... > I don't believe it. (period) Show proof, please ... I don't think that is too much to ask, unless you really do have something to hide. (It all sounds like sheep-dip to me!) 

As for my rating, look up the NY Open in 1995. FIDE could have allowed exceptions ... they do it all the time. IF ... they had, my PR would have been 2450 (FIDE) and I would have had an IM norm. 

I have won dozens (hundreds?) of tournaments. And I have crushed more FM's than I care to count, and a few IM's as well. If you look me up on USCF, you will see I have won my last FIVE tournaments in a row, without a loss. (Once Lafayette is posted.) 

So don't try to impress with accomplsihments, real or fake. 

It has NOTHING to do with your teaching credentials ... which you seem to lack. 

SO ... I will waste no more time on you. (blocked) 

It also does not change any of the FACTS ... that - in my experience - the Colle is one of the easiest systems to teach to a mere beginner. I also will point out that many GM's and IM's have told me that they usually don't fool around with a student until they have been playing a while ... my point, is they don't deal (too much) with absolute beginner's, while I have taught hundreds of people to play over the years. 

FLchessplayer

BTW - I have gotten many posts (here) ... and also many e-mails about this topic. And, so far, all have been positive and confirmed my position here. 

FLchessplayer
alexlaw wrote:

alright, a weirdo.

"People who live in glass houses ... should not throw stones." 

"Now THAT is the pot calling the kettle names." 

SeymourSchwartz

You AJ Goldsby from the amazon.com?  You do good reviews.  You alright.

SeymourSchwartz

Mike, I got no more time for you.  I just tryin to educate the masses.  You only here to make yourself feel good.  Try to make yourself look better by makin everyone else look bad.  Ain't no need for that kind of person anyplace, anytime.

I'm sure you play good.  But you ain't much of a person.  Might want to look into that.

Michael-G
FLchessplayer wrote:

BTW - I have gotten many posts (here) ... and also many e-mails about this topic. And, so far, all have been positive and confirmed my position here. 

Of course you will get many of positive comments.You say something easy that most want to believe and I say something that is really tough.If you take 10 beginners , one promises them a super opening  and another one a long -term study plan based on endgame , who are they going to choose?

Who are you trying to fool?Those who give the easy solutions are the ones that get the money.

I had only one positive comment.ONLY ONE, but I am proud for it.Because one guy saved his money and maybe he will find someone that deserves to take them.Your positive comments were lost cases anyway , as 95% of the beginners are(and it isn't their fault).Take a look at the forum threads, how many beginners have questions about endgame or middlegame and how many about openings?.Who has the guts to tell them that they shouldn't even bother with openings?Not "awarded teachers" like you of course who are hoping to make them give  their money to learn Colle.It is sad that people are so desperate to learn chess that are willing of paying for anything, even that. 

Michael-G
FLchessplayer wrote:

I don't believe it. (period) Show proof, please ... I don't think that is too much to ask, unless you really do have something to hide. (It all sounds like sheep-dip to me!) 

As for my rating, look up the NY Open in 1995. FIDE could have allowed exceptions ... they do it all the time. IF ... they had, my PR would have been 2450 (FIDE) and I would have had an IM norm. 

I have won dozens (hundreds?) of tournaments. And I have crushed more FM's than I care to count, and a few IM's as well. If you look me up on USCF, you will see I have won my last FIVE tournaments in a row, without a loss. (Once Lafayette is posted.) 

So don't try to impress with accomplsihments, real or fake. 

It has NOTHING to do with your teaching credentials ... which you seem to lack. 

SO ... I will waste no more time on you. (blocked) 

It also does not change any of the FACTS ... that - in my experience - the Colle is one of the easiest systems to teach to a mere beginner. I also will point out that many GM's and IM's have told me that they usually don't fool around with a student until they have been playing a while ... my point, is they don't deal (too much) with absolute beginner's, while I have taught hundreds of people to play over the years. 

You are  better player than I ever was , that's for sure.But that hardly proves you are right or that you are a good teacher.What it is very sad is that if you have learned chess correctly you would probably be much higher(one possibility is that this is what you afraid to admit).Unless you did , but you teach it wrong because it's the only way to keep the students.I don't blame you if you do ,life is tough.

CerebralAssassin

I agree with Michael.u teach 10 harmless moves to a beginner...and then what?he won't have a clue what to do next.....middlegame and endgame study is much more inspiring and stimulative to the imagination then memorizing 10 safe moves in the opening...and for what?to delay the inevitable defeat as much as possible?

Y_Ddraig_Goch
FLchessplayer wrote:

It's funny how you say "I think when you have 35 years of teaching experience ... are a chess Master ... and have some of the same credentials and writing awards that I have ... I might consider listening to you or taking you seriously" when people disagree with you, but as soon as people do agree with you you're happy to listen to and take seriously any number of beginners who send things through to your inbox, and to attempt to use that stuff as evidence for your position. You appear to selectively adopt principles when it suits you to do so.

And who would be so narcissistic as to type out a link, on their chess.com profile, to their chess.com trophy room? Whatever respect you hope to get from being a chess teacher and a USCF national master, you're throwing away due to how you're conducting yourself here.

By the way, although it's off-topic, if anyone wants to see what a "lifetime of experience" really means to this guy, take a look at his website, where he claims to be a "licensed computer consultant", who "was one of the first in this field", and who has "been involved with computers [his] whole life" (how many lives has he had, incidentally?), and then, in addition to offering to take people's money in return for performing google searches for them, continues to offer up such gems as:

• "for sound/music files ... Once you have made ... say 'i-tunes' your default player, you will be unable to play these files with another program";
  • "MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE A LINK! ... this is what all the big boys do on their web sites";
  • viruses are "costing the average computer user ... $250,000,000.00 per year";
  • "Want to know something really wild? {In the past.} I have created literally dozens of 'animated gifs'".

Total public relations fail.

FLchessplayer

IM P. ---> I will give you just one example. Clobbered S. Muhammed ... more than once. My game(s) can be found on http://www.chessgames.com. (My real name is A.J. Goldsby I)  And I have defeated many FM's over the years. If you have any old copies of "Florida Chess," you can look these up for yourself. And ... by-the-way ... I was the official "Games Editor" for << Florida Chess >> (magazine) for something like 10+ years. 

I have defeated both IM's and even GM's on the ICC website, a few of these occurred during their OFFICIAL "Dos Hermanos" qualifiers. (Apparently, they no longer hold these ... ... ... they never figured out a way to block/control/prevent the cheaters.)

ChessBase only has my losses. And they even have that game that you mention wrong. (My opponent was a LIFE MEMBER of USCF from Oklahoma.) But its still a pretty game the the unofficial brilliancy prize for the U.S. Open.  

Maybe you'd like to get your facts together first! BTW, I have never heard of you, nor have I seen any of your games ... so perhaps you would like to reciprocate? 

And I have won plenty of CJA awards, like "Best On-line analysis," practically every time I entered. And I also have a kazillion web pages ... start here or see or see http://www.ajschess.com or http://www.lifemasteraj.com. I also have contributed to literally dozens of other websites, like "The World Chess Academy." 

Michael-G
alexlaw wrote:

i'm very tempted to make a tree diagram on relationships between players on chess.com forums.

LOL !!!

OldHastonian

If only I had something to boast about...Cry

OldHastonian
alexlaw wrote:

i can't see the link where goldsby has lost all his games except for one.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=96818&kpage=26

is what I am looking at-the win rate seems very high to me.

Why isn't the Colle in the list of "Most Played Openings"??

FLchessplayer
SeymourSchwartz wrote:

You AJ Goldsby from the amazon.com?  You do good reviews.  You alright.

Thank you, sir!

FLchessplayer
Y_Ddraig_Goch wrote:
FLchessplayer wrote:

It's funny how you say "I think when you have 35 years of teaching experience ... are a chess Master ... and have some of the same credentials and writing awards that I have ... I might consider listening to you or taking you seriously" when people disagree with you, but as soon as people do agree with you you're happy to listen to and take seriously any number of beginners who send things through to your inbox, and to attempt to use that stuff as evidence for your position. You appear to selectively adopt principles when it suits you to do so.

And who would be so narcissistic as to type out a link, on their chess.com profile, to their chess.com trophy room? Whatever respect you hope to get from being a chess teacher and a USCF national master, you're throwing away due to how you're conducting yourself here.

By the way, although it's off-topic, if anyone wants to see what a "lifetime of experience" really means to this guy, take a look at his website, where he claims to be a "licensed computer consultant", who "was one of the first in this field", and who has "been involved with computers [his] whole life" (how many lives has he had, incidentally?), and then, in addition to offering to take people's money in return for performing google searches for them, continues to offer up such gems as:

"for sound/music files ... Once you have made ... say 'i-tunes' your default player, you will be unable to play these files with another program"; "MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE A LINK! ... this is what all the big boys do on their web sites"; viruses are "costing the average computer user ... $250,000,000.00 per year"; "Want to know something really wild? {In the past.} I have created literally dozens of 'animated gifs'".

Total public relations fail.

If you say so ... not like I care about that YOU might think!!!

FLchessplayer

Here's a game that shows real understanding of chess, how to lose in just 24 moves ... 

FLchessplayer

Yup. You have to be quite a Master ... to play like that. 

Helzeth

I have a game of jacob aagard losing in 20 moves as white.
He is better than you'll ever be.
just saying

Y_Ddraig_Goch
FLchessplayer wrote:

Yup. You have to be quite a Master ... to play like that. 

Are you secretly The_Gavinator or something?

The_Gavinator

I don't hate the rest of the world that much lol