Forums

Easiest opening to learn for beginners ..

Sort:
FLchessplayer

Here is a game that I played with one of my students - just today: 

[Event "5-min / training"]

[Site "Pensacola FL"]

[Date "2012.04.28"]

[Round "1"]

[White "A.J. Goldsby I"]

[Black "Robert Pegg"]

[Result "1-0"]

[ECO "D05"]

[Annotator "A.J.G."]

[PlyCount "21"]

[EventDate "2011.??.??"]

[EventType "match (blitz)"]

[EventCountry "USA"]

[SourceDate "2012.04.29"]  

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4. Bd3 Be7 5. O-O O-O 6. Nbd2 c5 7. c3 Nbd7 8. Qe2 b6 9. e4 dxe4 10. Nxe4 Nxe4 11. Qxe4, 1-0

FLchessplayer

Does anyone know how you get the replayable board ... in a comment? 

eugene_p_needlemeyer

As Susan Polgar has said, many non-professional players do not have the time to study deep analyses of variations of 15-20 moves in a dozen different openings and are looking for ways to make it easy, to have one system against the different setups of black.

As a youth, Polgar herself remembers seeking an opening that did not require the memorization of variations 15-20 or more moves deep and was very happy when she discovered the Colle-Zukertort Variation, an opening system that gave her much joy and success.

As Cecil Purdy once wrote "Somebody that specializes in the Colle system will have to spend only one tenth of the time studying chess openings than they would have to otherwise."

eugene_p_needlemeyer

I'm a fan of "trial by fire" myself, so I actually play 1. e4 and invite all the chaos that comes along with it. :)

eugene_p_needlemeyer

One one level or another there are systems against everything, I guess. I just play it to expose myself to as much as I can, and it has been a lot of fun. I do like the look of a lot of d4 games but I was told once not to chop and change openings too much when learning, so I've been sticking with e4.

I'm trying to learn the French as black, so I don't actually mind coming up against it as white.

IrrationalTiger
FLchessplayer wrote:

Does anyone know how you get the replayable board ... in a comment? 

Right above your comment as you type, there's a comment toolbar which has things such as BoldItalics, font colors, etc.  At the left of the toolbar is a picture of a tree and a picture of a chessboard, and if you click on the chessboard you can insert a diagram/puzzle/game with annotations.  Hope that helped.

FLchessplayer

And here is a similar game ... 

Hoi,Carsten (2510) - Holzapfel,Daniel (2275) [D05]  
Bad Mergentheim (Open) / 1989.  

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 c5 4.Bd3 d5 5.c3 Nbd7 6.Nbd2 Be7 7.0-0 0-0 8.Qe2 b6 9.e4 dxe4 10.Nxe4 Bb7 11.Rd1 Nxe4 12.Bxe4 Bxe4 13.Qxe4 Nf6 14.Qe2 Qc7 15.Bg5 Rfd8 16.dxc5 Qxc5 17.Ne5 Rxd1+ 18.Rxd1 Rd8 19.Rxd8+ Bxd8 20.a4 h6 21.Bh4 Qd5 22.c4 Qd4 23.Qd3 Qxe5 24.Qxd8+ Kh7 25.Qd3+ Kg8 26.Bxf6 Qxf6 27.Qd2 Qe5 28.h3 f5 29.g3 Qe4 30.Qc3 f4 31.gxf4 Qxf4 32.b4 a5 33.bxa5 bxa5 34.c5 Qxa4 35.c6 Qd1+ 36.Kg2 Qd5+ 37.f3 Qd8 38.c7 Qc8 39.Qxa5 Kf7 40.Qc3 g6 1-0

FLchessplayer
FLchessplayer

Who says a strong player ... (here, 2500+) won't play the Colle? 

whatupyodog

Yes, but if he played the parham he would have had an automatic win.

EbenezerDrood
pfren wrote:

Uhhh, but OK. In that game Hoi is playing a French Rubinstein being (as white) a full tempo down (pushed the pawn to e4 in two moves instead of one).

He is not worse, of course, but his win has absolutely nothing to do with the opening.

I agree that the Rubinstein is awesome.

FLchessplayer
pfren wrote:

Uhhh, but OK. In that game Hoi is playing a French Rubinstein being (as white) a full tempo down (pushed the pawn to e4 in two moves instead of one).

He is not worse, of course, but his win has absolutely nothing to do with the opening.

Allow me (and Fritz!) to disagree. And (also) White gets a Q-side majority out of the opening. I have won hundreds of games with this in blitz ... people always thinks its OK to just swap pieces ... and head for the endgame. 

Of course, if you had attended Kolty's lectures, (or) bought his books, you would know what I am talking about. (G. Koltanowski was a good player, famous for his blindfold exhibitions.) 

FLchessplayer

And, if you had read my web pages on this topic (see my first post); I give a lot of info there as well. 

Scottrf
FLchessplayer wrote:
pfren wrote:

Allow me (and Fritz!) to disagree. And (also) White gets a Q-side majority out of the opening. I have won hundreds of games with this in blitz ... people always thinks its OK to just swap pieces ... and head for the endgame. 

Of course, if you had attended Kolty's lectures, (or) bought his books, you would know what I am talking about. (G. Koltanowski was a good player, famous for his blindfold exhibitions.) 

Only one way to sort this disagreement out.

EbenezerDrood
FLchessplayer wrote:
pfren wrote:

Ken Smith & John Hall's book on the Colle gives a nice job of explaining how to play for a win out of the supposedly "stale and equal" Colle positions.  I feel like it's available for a quarter at every used book store in the universe.

EbenezerDrood
Scottrf wrote:
FLchessplayer wrote:
pfren wrote:

Only one way to sort this disagreement out.

But this is no place for naked Sumo.

FLchessplayer

I am all for one of those (chess) "Death Matches" ... to settle things ... 

FLchessplayer

But, seriously. IM pfren, your suggestions are prolly OK ... 

but they miss the point of the whole article! 

What opening do YOU teach to a rank beginner? 

FLchessplayer

Please enlighten me ... ... ... 

Ben_Dubuque

The King's Gambit is easy enough, get the pieces pointing at f7 and then attack